Videos or soundclips of "Bright" and "Dark" tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Aug 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi All,

Even though I've been playing for quite some time now, I've only relatively recently come across the terms "bright" and "dark" being applied to trumpet tone. I have my own internal idea what each means, mainly thinking of "dark" as "rich" and "bright" as "shrill" and personally work on a "rich" sound, but would appreciate hearing your definitions/opinions of what constitutes a "dark" sound and a "bright" sound. By "hearing" I mean "hearing with my ears" of course! So if you could post some links to videos or sound clips of "dark" players and "bright" players (and indicate which is which) that would be great.

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    In my opinion Louis Armstrong is the standard for "bright". Doesn't matter which clip you listen to.

Chris Botti is dark.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    And I wouldn't consider "bright" to be shrill like you say. I consider bright to be vibrant, lively and ringy.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Trumpet tone is a funny thing to talk about, isn't it? I know what you mean, Bumblebee!

I like the dark to light references, and find that I can separate everything that way ...... This is "brighter" or "darker" than that. Trumpets, mouthpieces and mutes. They all have their own bright to dark place in my view of trumpet tone.

There are a lot of other ways to describe trumpet sounds ..... rich, fat, thin, etc .... But, for me, the dark to bright is the most reliable reference. And "shrill" for me is the equivalent of "bad" .... not "bright". Great bright tones can be heard from a wide variety of trumpeters. And, I think really strong players can change their tone more easily, while they're playing.

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Nice clips of Chris Botti .... His tone is generally dark, I think. And, I believe that he uses only one trumpet and one mouthpiece, and settled on them a while ago. So, all the variation in dark to light in his playing is all technique.

Those of us who can't play anything like that, for now have to go for the gear route of changing tone. :-(

For bright toned players, listen to Herb Alpert with the Tihuana Brass .... you can hear the influence of Mexican music and trumpeting on him, where the trumpets are generally very bright. Same with Cuban music ... Try listening to "The Afro Cuban All Stars" or the "Buana Vista Social Club" recordings. Those trumpeters really SCREAM!!!

For dark, there's Miles.

Turtle

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Here's a good one for a bright tone! I love this guy, the lead trumpeter here, but I don't know who he is.

http://youtu.be/CIdDyLz4TAo

Really nice lead trumpet stuff around the 6:00 mark, especially.

Turtle