Vienna Key Worth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 24, 2015.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    My favorite horn is the least complicated of all the ones i own and was made 69 years ago.

2. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Then Schagerls should be impossible to play high...yet they still do. Why?:dontknow:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    And the Germans certainly love their bells and whistles. (I do love the look of the L├Ątzsch snakes, though! [on the slide on the left of the photo, the bell section by someone else])

[​IMG]

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    As regards the OP, in another thread (one of his first on TM) he told us that he was a 17-year-old student from New Zealand just started in trumpet (that was perhaps six months ago). So he has tons of youthful zeal and (until we taught him, sometimes the hard way) no knowledge to speak of. I think we can be quite proud of ourselves that we crammed that much knowledge into him in a few short weeks. But it's far too short a time for him to absorb and adjust all that knowledge. But that is the advantage of youth... let him have the benefit of his exuberant enthusiasm. Better that than a disillusioned hard-bitten klapper of a guy...

5. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    That is a lot of trumpets for a newcomer!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My experience is that a horn can be designed heavy and be just fine in all registers, or get pimped and play miserably. George makes an interesting point with the vented tuning slide. The weight is in the wrong place for a standard trumpet.

Still, if we look at the repertory, who needs the help that those keys "could" provide? Certainly most amateurs are not playing the symphonies that they were designed for. Those that are playing this stuff professionally have the opportunities to find "their" instrument and for sure do not need internet advice on why and how to pick it.

We cannot guess the motives of a school kid or even university player for collecting anything. We don't know their playing use case, so we voice either our opinion, or experience for what it is worth.

With a username like brass band major, we can guess on the true focus here, and a rotary trumpet in any form is not going to meet that goal. I prefer someone to come here and ask a thousand questions rather than come on like they know it all but not be able to deliver content. Granted, the questions could be consolidated to a couple of threads instead of spread all over. That is a learning process.

7. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    I believe that you're just being hard on him. So he asks a lot of questions, so what?! beeeeeebop

That's good for the forum right? Having traffic and all that