Vienna, Salzburg, Munich Trumpet Tour

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x3matt, Apr 28, 2008.

1. x3matt

x3matt New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    emory, va, usa
    Hello, I will be taking my college trumpet ensemble on a tour through Vienna, Salzburg, and Munich in a few weeks and I just wanted to see if anyone had any great tips, ideas, thoughts, etc. that could aid in our trip. We are taking a tour of the Schagerl factory and are looking for any other great ideas for our trip. Thanks in advance for you suggestions. Matt Frederick

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Another factory to go would be Gerd Dowid's in Munich. Myself I have never been there, but If was to go on a such tour this would be another nice factory to visit.

Gerd Dowids
    Gollierstraße 70 C
    D - 80339 München

3. MFCadi

MFCadi New Friend

Jun 11, 2007
    I would highly recommend a vist to the town of Kremsmunster just a short drive NE of Salzburg. The phenomenal collection of wind instruments collected by Franz Streitwieser are on display there at Kremsegg Castle.
    Tony

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    South of Salzburg is Lechner, who, in my opinion builds a much better instrument than the Schagerl.
    Details here: Blasinstrumentenerzeugung und Musikhaus Lechner in Bischofshofen

In Munich, the Deutsche Museum has MANY historical instruments:
    Deutsches Museum: Information

In Vienna, you should visit the publisher and music shop:
    Doblinger, they have a great selection of sheet music.
    Dorotheergasse 10, 1010 Wien

also an absolute MUST in Vienna is the:
    Kunsthistorisches Museum
    Hauptgebäude
    Maria Theresien-Platz
    1010 Wien

Lots of historical instruments!

Food is also a great thing to pay attention to. Weisswürstl in Munich, Salzburger Nockerln in Salzburg, and Tafelspitz or a real Wienerschnitzel in Vienna. Munich is in the middle of Beercountry, but the Austrians are very proud of their wine - and rightfully so! For any of you with a sweet tooth, I consider dessert in Austria as the best available anywhere in the world.

5. x3matt

x3matt New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    emory, va, usa
    Tony, thanks, I remember visiting the Streitwieser when he was still in Pennsylvania. I will look that up.

Rowuk, the reason for the Schagerl visit is that we have a little more time in Vienna and the guys from Mnozil helped to set it up for us. Thank you for all of the other great tips!!

Anything else anyone thinks of will be great! Matt Frederick

6. x3matt

x3matt New Friend

Sep 14, 2005
    emory, va, usa
    Trumpetnick, I can't find anything online about Gerd Dowid. Do you have any other information other than the address? Thanks, Matt

7. MFCadi

MFCadi New Friend

Jun 11, 2007
    Rowuk is right, don't forget the food, beer, wine and in Salzburg the wonderful schnapps. If the students are into "The Sound of Music" at all, the town of Mondsee is where the church is located where the marriage scene was filmed. Vienna has a cemetary with a host of famous musicians, composers etc. located in one area on the grounds. In Munich if you have time for a walking city tour, I would recommend "Free Tours". They start at the glockenspiel and tour several historic areas around town including the Hofbrauhaus and work for tips (even though I found them far more informative than the more expensive tour companies). Dachau is nearby for a remembrance of the concentration camps and one of King Ludwigs castles is in Munich as well (Neuschwanstein isn't to far away and is very enjoyable. It's where I proposed to my wife. She had to say yes because I had the car keys). Salzburg, is of course, Mozart and Sound of Music country. Let me know what you end up doing. My son has been invited to Austria next year for their Youth Music Festival which we will be attending.
    Tony (MFCadi)

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  9. annapurna

annapurna New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    Germany
    Not directly in Munich, but worth a visit: Franz Weber in Chieming Homepage

Great instruments and nice Bavarian scenery :-)