Vincent Cichowicz R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PH, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I was very fortunate to travel with my trumpet instructor to Chicago in the early 90s to attend a performance of Mahler 3 at Orchestra Hall. The next day we traveled to Northwestern where I got to meet Mr. Cichowicz and then observe the lesson that my instructor took. He was working with him on the air patterns and minimizing any “bearing downâ€.

I still remember when he asked Jim to play a passage from an etude that he just played, except this time for Trumpet in E to see if the concepts that he was relating to him were sinking in (I believe this was the 3rd or 4th time he had made the trip to Chicago to have a lesson with him). With Bb in hand he preceded to play what was on the page for Trumpet in E with exactly the same style and sound as he had in the printed key. Mr. Cichowicz said, “Good. I think we can move on!†He knew what a fine player Jim was, and wanted to throw a curve ball to assure that his message had gotten through. I thought that was great!

I’m so fortunate to have been able to shake his hand and experience a lesson first hand. Thanks for everything Mr. Cichowicz!

Here are some excellent articles about Mr. Cichowicz from the ITG Journal:

Vincent Cichowicz: Master Teacher
    by Bruce C. Briney

The Cichowicz School: Comments from Earlier Students of Vincent Cichowicz
    by Leah J. Schumann

2. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I remember having a master class as an undergraduate music student where I had performed the Charlier #2 etude for Mr. C., whose kind words were inspirational to me. It was a pleasure to meet him. Up until meeting him, I knew about him from my trumpet teacher, who had studied with him. I still have the “Air Flow Studies†book.

Thank you Mr. C. for the encouragement. R.I. P.

Janell

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ...and, so, the writers of trumpet history fall prey to the ages as we sit and remember them.

They never set out to write that history. No, they merely had songs in their hearts that could only be satisfied through the venues that eventually became their second homes, the stages from which they launched the careers that thrilled us.

Vince Cichowicz had one of those unique careers that saw his fame increase not only as a performer but also as a master teacher, one who would influence others to carry the songs that they also held in their hearts. He did so when I first came to him seeking a better way. He helped me look at practice in a new way, methodical and efficient. He helped me blend enthusiasm and discipline towards a heartfelt, musical end.

James Smith, Arnold Jacobs, William Vacchiano, Mel Broiles, and now Vince Cichowicz... all men whose generosity of approach made me the grateful player I am today.

We who have had the opportunity to study with gentlemen such as these can do no less than to apply, teach, and share the wisdom they imparted so freely with the next generation of trumpeters. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about you, Vince, because so much of what you taught me is now part of my daily routine.

You had happy times, sad times, relaxed times, and stressful times but through it all you never stopped sharing. No, you never stopped.

And you never will.

May G-d bless your memory through our actions,

ML

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks for the links to the articles, Derek. Those are great.

I got to meet Cichowicz in 1987 or so when our HS orchestra traveled to Chicago and played at NU. We had a rehearsal with Yampolsky and masterclasses with the faculty. Everything Cichowicz said to us about playing was so simple, I almost didn't buy it. Surely a college trumpet teacher should give us more esoteric, complicated explanations, right? :roll: But his clear, simple ideas stuck with me, and later that night when we saw the CSO (Herseth, Vosburgh, Scarlett, and Kent at that point), I think I sort of started to get it.

20 years later, I'm thankful for that moment of instruction which I think made a big difference for me, brief as it was.

5. jbowman1993

jbowman1993 New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I never had the chance to meet him personally, but I know many who have, and they always spoke of him with great respect and warmth. I had his warm up studies in a file, and got them out to play today. I think I will introduce them to my students this afternoon in studio class.

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

I never got to know Vince. His son, Mike, and I are pretty good friends.

In any case, Vince's spirit certainly lives on, but also importantly, his LEGACY lives on in so many of us who either studied with him or his hundreds of students.

For my part, I celebrate his life.

Peace, all.

Nick

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    He and all who knew him well are in my prayers.

What a fantastic legacy he leaves though..outstanding.

Regards,

Trevor

8. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Both of my trumpet profs were Cichowicz students, so I feel a strong connection with his teachings. I owe much of what little success I've had to this man, thank you Mr. Cichowicz, that Bartok has never sounded better...

Condolences
    -EJ-

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    That Bartok recording is one of my very favorite things to hear if I'm frustrated, or just need a little trumpet inspiration. So even though I never even met Mr. C, his career touched me, and I'm greatful for it.

Thanks again, VC.

(And I'm sorry about that time I stepped on your foot in the audiance at an ITG concert.)

10. trumpetdon

trumpetdon New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    We have lost such a giant.
    Vince was such an elegant, sweet, dear man. Have you ever seen his handwriting? It was beautifully crafted art, as was his speech, and of course, his poetic playing.
    I had the incredible honor of studying with Mr. Cichowicz at Northwestern in the late 70's/early 80's. Hearing Vince in person in lessons was almost beyond words. What a sound! When it came to cantabile, his sound was like the sweetest thick cream, with the most lovely shape to every note and phrase.
    I regret I did not stay in touch as an adult. When will I learn this lesson? I did attend his retirement luncheon and saw him at several Millar Brass concerts. Earlier this year I left a phone message for him and Genie, and I trust he heard it.
    Mr. Cichowicz, I'll always love you. Your body was ill for a long time, and now you are free from suffering. You have blessed my life and the lives of thousands in so many ways. May your soul be wrapped up in eternal peace, and may all who mourn your passing be comforted.

Don Cagen