Vincent Cichowicz R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PH, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
    When I think of Mr.Cichowicz, many words come to mind, but my favorite is "dignity". In our world of "higher, faster, louder", his approach was warm, positive, and disciplined. I have been blessed to have studied with many great teachers, but my all-too-short year with Mr. C was a special time in my life. May God bless him and his great legacy.

Dan Gosling

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    TMers,

For those of you who are interested, the memorial service is confirmed for Friday, Dec. 15th at 11:00 am

St. Benedict's Catholic Church
    137 Dewey Ave
    Fontana WI

Best,
    EC

3. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    http://www.music.northwestern.edu/news/facultynews.html#cichowicz

OBITUARY: Vincent Cichowicz: 1927 - 2006

Vincent Cichowicz, a member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s trumpet section from 1952 to 1974 and professor emeritus of trumpet at Northwestern University, died on Monday evening, December 11, at his home in Fontana, Wisconsin, following a long illness. He was 79.
    A lifetime figure on the music scene in Chicago, Cichowicz had served on the faculty at Northwestern since 1959 and as professor of trumpet from 1974 until his retirement in 1998. He began his musical career at the age of seventeen as a member of the Houston Symphony Orchestra and, after military service in the Fifth Army Band, returned to Chicago to attend Roosevelt University. He was a member of the Civic Orchestra from 1947 until 1950. In 1952 he became a member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, where he remained for twenty-three years under music directors Rafael Kubelík, Fritz Reiner, Jean Martinon, and Sir Georg Solti. During this period he also was a member of the Chicago Symphony Brass Quintet and was a participant in the Grammy Award-winning recording of The Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli.
    Other activities for Cichowicz include an appointment as music director of the Millar Brass Ensemble in 1995, and service as a faculty member of the National Youth Orchestra of Canada from 1980 until 2002, and for the Brass Seminar program at the Domaine Forget in Charlevoix, Quebec, from 1986 until 2004. He also conducted numerous workshops and clinics throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, and Japan and was regarded as one of North America's foremost experts in brass pedagogy.
    Cichowicz’s many honors include a special achievement award from the European Chapter of the International Trumpet Guild in 1997, a Legends in Teaching Award by Northwestern University, and in 1999 the International Trumpet Guild Lifetime Achievement Award.
    Vincent Cichowicz was born on August 27, 1927, to Walter and Mary Cichowicz in Chicago, Illinois, and they preceded him in death, as did a brother, Walter. Cichowicz's first marriage to the former Lois Cahill, with whom he had three sons, ended in divorce. He married Genriq E. Murphy in 1987, and she survives him. He also is survived by three sons, Michael of Evanston, Steve and wife Donna of Arlington Heights, and Rob of Evanston, and grandchildren Kent, Lindsay, and Keith of Arlington Heights, and by sisters Ange Duda and Ann Carney and husband George.

A memorial service is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Friday, December 15, at Saint Benedict's Catholic Church, 137 Dewey Avenue, Fontana, Wisconsin 262-275-2480). Music at the service will be provided by the Millar Brass Ensemble, and lunch at the Abbey is planned afterward.

Letters of condolence may be sent to Ms. Murphy at 292 White Oak Road, Fontana, WI 53125. Cichowicz asked that any donations be given in his name to the Millar Brass Ensemble or to the Vince Lombardi Charitable Funds.

4. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Please forgive me a random thought.

Vince Cichowicz taught me that the composer's name is Ah Rut Union, not Are Roo Too Nian, as commonly mispronounced.

Does this matter? Perhaps not, but with each passing we risk losing vital information. James Tenney, the distinguished American composer, died late last summer. My first thought (funny how the mind is wired) upon learning of his passing was "what about Angels?". Jim studied with Carl Ruggles back in the day and owned corrections made in the composer's own hand to the published score of Angels (1921) for muted brass (orginally 6 trumpets).

We lose not only the person but his/her unique knowledge as well.

EC

5. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    TMers,

Two colleagues, Susan Enger of the Memphis Symphony (an old friend who I'm delighted to re-connect with here. Welcome, Suzie!) and Rich Tomasek, have written to me to say that it's Rudy Nashan, not Vince Cichowicz, playing second trumpet on the Reiner/CSO Bartok Concerto for Orchestra recording. Hmmm. . . a sign of advancing age or selective memory on my part? It could be either although my point remains the same: Vince was an absolutely wonderful second trumpeter before devoting his career to making so many of us better players.

Thanks for the watching my back, Susan and Rich.

Let's reboot: pop in the Reiner/CSO recording of Ein Heldenleben and listen to the Eb parts played by Vince Cichowicz (tpt #1) and Renold Schilke -- both enormously important people in my life. I hope that you'll be as glad to revisit them as I am.

Cheers,
    EC

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Thanks for the tip Mr. Carroll. I just visited ArkivMusic and bought Ein Heldenleben, Pictures, and Scheherazade with Reiner at the helm from the late 50's.

Happy Holidays,

Richard Oliver

7. Chuck Spindler

Chuck Spindler New Friend

Dec 19, 2006
    I was a grad student of Vincent Cichowicz at NU in '85. I doubt I could say anything revelatory in general that others haven't already heard or said about him, but that does not diminish my deep sadness at his passing. He was a warm, generous human being who never stopped giving. He had a special way of making everyone feel that nothing was more important when they were with him. An hour alone with Mr. Cichowicz was a privilege and honor beyond description.

His wife, Genie Murphy, selflessly gave of herself in this difficult time by providing a Chicago Sun Times reporter with a plethora of wonderful information for that paper's obituary. This obituary truly encapsulates who Vincent Cichowicz was, not only as a player and teacher, but human being. Enjoy:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/obituaries/172633,CST-NWS-Xcich14.article

8. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hey EC, the Ozawa Bartok Con. for Orch from '68 definitely has Mr. C on second, and I think it's equally as good (at least)! So, there, just a matter of what decade you access!

Players of this level are timeless, and Mr. C's legacy really has no bounds in time, either (witness the legacy reaching down through new generations of the teaching and the taught...)