Vintage Conn Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 16, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I am ordering a Conn 48B Vocabell from an out of state music store today. I plan on using this horn for big band and solo performances of the National Anthem. I am not sure that it would blend well in the symphonic setting. I understand that the older Conns have a slightly different sized mouthpiece receiver. I would like to find a vintage Conn mouthpiece that both fits my lips and the horn's mouthpiece receiver properly. Having one that fits the horn visually would be nice too.

What Vintage Conn Mouthpiece would be closest to a Bach 3C?

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The horn does have the Conn 4 mouthpiece with it. I had the brass guy pull the main slide and check the leadpipe for pitting. He says there is none. No dents and all of the lacquer is still there. Valves look good. I am excited about this! I have played one other vintage Conn and loved it. They have a return policy that is favorable in case I don't like the horn.

I was looking for a used piccolo trumpet when I found this. I plan to sell my old Bach to pay for this horn.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Not that there was much interest on this thread. Disregard. Got the horn. It is not in good shape. Red rot in the leadpipe and main tuning slide. The valves are worn out and there is hardly a straight line on the horn. Packing it up and sending it back as soon as possible. I have long wondered what these beautiful horns would play like. I am afraid that I have been given a poor worn out example.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    In case you ever find another one, it's the vintage Conn cornets that prefer a unique mouthpiece shank. The trumpets seem to do just fine with standard mouthpieces.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks. I think that I read somewhere that the older horns had receivers that were specific to brand. Other mouthpieces will work but using one that is made for that instrument is best for getting the correct gap. It was later that manufacturers standardized mouthpiece receivers.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    There is a slight difference in old Conn trumpet receivers vs. new mouthpieces. The period Conn trumpet mouthpieces and receivers (up until sometime in the 1950's) are slightly larger than modern ones, so a modern trumpet mouthpiece will go in a little farther than it should.

That "brass guy" that examined the trumpet for you must be either incompetent or a liar...:lol:

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Most of my trumpet mouthpieces are Reeves, cut for sleeves, and I have most of the sleeves. So minor differences in trumpet receivers I can deal with. The vintage Conn cornet receiver is a tougher challenge.

8. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a 1934 Martin Imperial Handcraft (converted to a 'C' horn) that plays just fine with most any mouthpiece I use in it but I have the original Martin mouthpiece for this horn and surprisingly doesn't do worth a darn in any other horn except the 1934 Martin!

Who would've thunk.

Ray Z :play:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Maybe a little of both?