Vintage E.K. Blessing?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    What can be told about it? One of trumpet pupils' father has just stumbled on one of these, and I was hoping to tell him something about it tomorrow..

Van

2. soontir2432

soontir2432 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Queens, New York, USA
    Is that all it says? Usually one would be inscribed 'Scholastic, Standard, Artist, or Super Artist,' and probably more.

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Emil Blessing founded his company in 1906, majoring in making parts for other companies . . . including many parts for his friend Vincent Bach's new trumpet (some newfangled horn that was called the "Stradivarius"). He was especially noted for his valve assemblies. There again, for many years the early Bach Strads were made on Blessing valve bodies. Lots of companies used Blessing parts.

He also made plenty of horns under the Blessing name too. Some were mediocre, others were very good. At the top of his line were the Artist and his top horn, the Super Artist.

The Blessing company, to my knowledge, is still family owned after nearly 100 years! That, in itself, stands as a testimony about the longevity of a horn company with a foundation based on quality manufacturing and solid financial practices vs. hype and sizzle.

Tom

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I am printing your info off, as well as a serial list off of the horn trader site.

Im glad that not only do we have a veritable encyclopedia of vintage trumpet knowledge calling this site home, but he's always available to answer all the questions we have for him!

I've got my fingers crossed that its one of those two top models, lol. I love it when great old horns are found in my lil farming region. A pre War, pristine French Besson sold at an auction in July for $150, and I am STILL pissed about that, lol.

Van

5. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Yes, there are a LOT of nice vintage horns currently stored in attics and closets all over the country, just waiting for the current owners to pass away and be sold or auctioned by the heirs. The finest ones are like time capsules . . . pristine pro horns purchased by adult players who didn't play 'em long and then put 'em away forever to get a "real job!"

I was playing a "Night of Swing" gig at an Air Force Museum last fall with the Georgia Big Band and an older gentleman came up to me on break and said, "I was a trumpeter in one of the Army Bands during WWII, and this brings back memories."

I asked him if he still played and he told me he quit forever when the war was over. I asked him if he still had the horn. He said, "Yep, it still looks new just like when I bought it at the start of the war."

"What brand is it?" I inquired. He replied, "Not many were made . . . it's a Bach Stradivarius."

His jaw dropped when I told him what it would be worth today! (I must admit that my first inclination was to offer him a couple of hundred for it though!) ;-)

Tom

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    You, sir, are a far, FAR better man than I...

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The horn is a pre WW2 (I didnt get the exact serial, but the case style is similar to 1920's cases. It had "ITS A BLESSING" on the front. The horn also smelled like a pre WW2 horn.) It is a standard. Unfortunately, it is in HORRIBLE shape, and would cost quite a bit to fix...

Van

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    E.K. Blessing trumpets

I just acquired an old Blessing, vintage 1965. It needed a spit valve replacement and a couple of minor dings rubbed out. When I got it done it surprised me. I consider it at least equal to my Ambassador. It is just the standard model with the engraved logo E.K.Blessing Elkhart Indiana longitudinally from the bell toward the bell curve. I am sure that it was intended to be a student horn. For a new student to have such an instrument would be a 'blessing' for the student.

OLDLOU>>

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    These horns are vastly under-rated.

I have several; three 1940s vintage Super Artists top the list. Build-quality is outstanding, even on the student horns. They have some unique qualities, not the least of which is an unusual feel in projection (or, the perception of same).

One could do worse, than than to play one of these.

Robert Rowe

10. dwhass

dwhass New Friend

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    My vintage Blessing dates to the mid 19-teens, serial number 92xx. Before they came up with the Artist model.

Horn is a A/Bb, basic Besson clone with the 2nd slide pointing to the bell. No octave key (finger hook) which is fine as I don't use them. Though not a true 'peashooter' it has that laser like projection. Bore is around .450 and the tubing stays fairly narrow until a late bell flare. Small finger buttons and bottom caps have weep funnels.

Horn is solidly made and is my main horn for community orchestra. Valves leaked so I had Kanstul do a valve job on it.