VINTAGE HORN EYE CANDY

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by tom turner, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]

cornetverreijtdomtoren.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Weird, above is a Verreijt Subliem cornet from Utrecht, The Netherlands, that in fact is a stencil made by the (big) Belgium builder Van Engelen from Lier, Belgium. It is nickelplated and the (bottomsprung) valves are reasonable tight but also a little noisy and scraggy. And it has an odd receiver, I suppose something like the old Olds receiver so I play it with a Yamaha 14FL flügelhorn mouthpiece, that inserts good though it wobbles a bit.
    But the horn is becoming more and more a favourite, a beautiful sweet sound, nice sweet reponse and quite a good intonation. So it's now more in use than my Getzen Eterna and the other ones. And it gets more time than my Selmer and Yamaha trumpets. Nice horn with something special. The tower in the logo is the famous Domtower in Utrecht, built between 1321 and 1382, height 112 meter, seen on the photo above.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It won't show the trumpet pic! o_Oo_O

4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    seems that I have to make new pictures

5. thewizardofoz

thewizardofoz New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    NYC
    King Symphony Silver Sonic from 1965 and original case. They don't make them like this anymore !! kingss2.jpg kingss3.jpg king case5.jpg

6. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    True Tone and thewizardofoz like this.
  7. thewizardofoz

thewizardofoz New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    NYC
    This one is the DB version...458/468 !!!
    It sizzles when pushed much like my '77 LA
    CG Benge !!

True Tone and Efig like this.
  8. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Here's a nice recent acquisition.
    A early 70s Selmer Paris flugelhorn, a bit different from the ones that Clark Terry and Chet Baker played in the mid to late 60s. This is a really nice sounding flugelhorn nonetheless, has better intonation than I expected. Slots quite well and uses the bach taper. I consider this the "improvement" model from the 60s versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tobylou8, True Tone and ATrumpetDude like this.
  9. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I’m very surprised it doesn’t use a French raper mouthpiece, are you sure it’s the original leadpipe?

10. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Probably original, these early 70s Selmer Paris flugels were redesigns on the past versions, wouldn't surprise me if Selmer had finally decided to taper the leadpipe to the more popular Bach type mouthpieces at the time. They kind of did the same thing with those K modified Selmer Paris trumpets in the 50s/60s.

True Tone likes this.