VINTAGE HORN EYE CANDY

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by tom turner, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Pinky hooks started to appear when Jazz became mainstream. For mute work.

J. Jericho likes this.
  2. prinmancz52

prinmancz52 New Friend

Nov 28, 2007
    Brock Reynolds.JPG Brock Reynolds2.JPG Brock Reynolds3.JPG

1938 Reynolds cornet with Sterling Silver Bell and gold inlay. I just got this and it looks and sounds as if it has never been used (In original condition and case).

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That applies to trumpets more than cornets, though. I've seen quite a few (and own a couple) 19th century cornets with pinky rings. They were the norm more than the exception back then.

True Tone likes this.
  4. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    when did the 1st valve slide become adjustable on the fly?

5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You didn't see a lot of that before the middle of the 20th century, but there are exceptions - the Conn 2B had a 1st valve saddle back in the 1920s.

True Tone likes this.
  6. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    Speaking of Conns...I finally took pictures of the 22B I bought back in September!
    I apologize for the low quality. =P
    It's made in 1925, serial #228xxx, and has all of the original stuff with it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...I just have one problem-one of our GAs wants to buy it after trying it out! He's mainly a jazz player, and wants it as a backup to his main horn, and also really likes the mouthpiece that's with it, the original BI-222. I may end up selling it, as having money is a good thing...
    (Plus you never know-I could find, for example, a cornet by Adolphe Sax from the 1860s, or something extra rare like that and need a couple hundred for it; although that's an almost impossibly unlikely situation given the rarity of his instruments.)

edit: now that I'm not being lazy about taking pics I probably will take pictures of my LW 400 in the next week or so, and the Holtons when I get back home for Thanksgiving break!

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I used to have a 1925 22B, but it wasn't in as nice condition as yours. Lots of plating wear, plier marks on the mouthpiece receiver, missing bottom cap, etc. It played really well, though. BTW, I had that pinky ring added - the older 22Bs didn't come with one. You can see by the plating wear that the bottom valve cases are copper, not brass.

MVC-138F.jpg

MVC-142F.jpg

J. Jericho and True Tone like this.
  8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    What is this rod for?

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati