Vintage Moanette?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Bruce Lee, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tom,

Anything in your files about this one?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your response!

Happy New Year!
    Bruce

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sheesh...I dunno about "Vintage Moanette"....but it sure looks like Flip Oakes has gone a wee bit overboard with his Wild Thing flugelhorn!

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Tom!

Found another picture for ya!
    Looks interesting!
    U think so?
    Be a shame if it didn't have a name!
    Any idea?

[​IMG]

I'm thinkin' that Rich Willey needs one for Holiday Trumpets!

Later,
    Bruce

4. Buzz

Buzz New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    McDonough, GA
    That man and his horn bring to mind all kinds of Freudian terminology. I'll leave it alone, though. BUT... if only you could read my mind.
    Meg :lol:

5. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Looks like Tom is "Away from my computer right now"...

The instrument is obviously called the Fluba

This is from an interview with Jim Self, the owner of the Fluba:

Q Who designed the instrument and what kind of parts did he used?

A It was my idea to have a tuba-sized flugel horn. Robb Stewart designed it and made it from parts. The valve section and "guts" are from a Yamaha Eb "compensating" tuba. Robb cut the slides for an F instrument. He used a small F tuba bell about the size of a Yamaha 621 and made the other branches. The design is like a huge antique flugel horn. It has some beautiful bends and bows and little personal touches--they show that Robb is a great artist and instrument maker.

"............... The craftmanship is awesome and the instrument plays beautifully. I am amazed by the concept and the product. It is highly recommended. I would love to sneak it into the orchestra for Bydlo the next time it comes up. A FLUBA is not a tuba with inFluenza!"

--Sumner Erickson, Principal Tubist in the Pittsburgh Symphony. He attended a jazz concert with Jim on the FLUBA and later played it in his (very unique) home.

Now, the big question is this: Did the character below influence Jim?

[​IMG]

Seems like "Sheldon" had a little competition! :lol:

So, which came first... Jim Self's Fluba, or the Monette Flumpet made for Art Farmer?

Best always,
    Bruce

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I like it. Especially that screw-shaped thing that's sticking down. Must be a way to attach it to the roof of a barn....it'd make a cool weathervane too.

7. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Say Bruce,

That's not Leigh's new flugel, is it?

Meg,

Shame on you,............. I read your mind,...- HeHeHe.

Skip

8. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Ed,

Here's... the rest of the story:

Please notice the rod that holds up the FLUBA. It was my idea to make it easy to sit or stand. It is a camera "monopod" that Robb adapted to the instrument. Because of it I've decided to name my FLUBA---PEG.

There ya have it!

Best always,
    Bruce

9. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Great idea adding the leg . . . err, "PEG" Bruce!

Until the FLUBA got the "PEG" it would never be successful . . . it was a good idea, but had "no leg to stand on!"

After all, no matter how big and impressive your instrument is . . . if ya' can't get it up and keep it up . . . properly perform, it's worthless. After all . . . size ain't everything.

Heck, I recommend renaming it the "Peachy Peg," for that thang would make a peach of a horn to impress a cute Southern-peach belle, like we have down here in Jaw-Gah.

I suspect this will become the instrument of choice for big band trombonists who've always secretly wanted to be trumpet players so they could deafen someone ahead of them.

Man, that's one SERIOUS, BAAAAAD LOOKIN' instrument! With the addition of the PEG to enhance performance maybe bigger WILL be better. I guess the only way to be certain is to have people blow it and see!

Warmest regards,

Tom