Violin study

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pisarenko, Jan 8, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I disagree, you may never find the perfect one but I know that some of us will. The perfect trumpet is not the prettiest one, the one that was cuddled, the one that was kept in the best shape possible. No, it is the used one that the owner loved and used everyday. That trumpet may not be perfect to you, but to the owner it was great. This is the horn that the 80 year old man would just toot, even when his chops are long gone, just because he loves the trumpet. I have not found the perfect trumpet yet, but when I do I will cherish it forever and never sell it. I will just give it away when it is time.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree ... there's room for improvement. Intonation, for one ..... a PERFECT match between horn and mp (some are already doing this), longer cases to accommodate the unremovable mp, etc.

I noticed Trombone Shorty had to wear big gloves to do the Anthem at one of the football games ... Maybe they could install a heater so players could avoid frostbite. Maybe a cup holder or two .... worked for the car industry.:dontknow:

Violins, on the other hand, are done, as Rowuk says. The only thing left for the violin is for us to discover a NEW WOOD. So far nothing, not even Koa or Babinga (sp?), is better than what is already used. Better horse hair bows??? Horses are done too, their hair isn't improving either.

Turtle

codyb226 likes this.
  3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Why horse hair? How about people hair? Elephant tail hair? Lion mane hair? Would a different hair make a different tone?

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I was speaking of engineering terms, not the subjective experience between player and horn. I do believe
    our brains interpret what is " perfect for us". I have 2 subjectively perfect trumpets. 1 subjectedly perfect
    guitar. As you said, Never for sale.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I have no idea why horse. Horses are not very musical, they snort, they bray, they stomp the ground, without much rhythm. But human hair :)shock:) .... for that "singing" tone. Lion's mane hair??? Talk to KT.

Turtle

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I will talk to KT about that. You go get a few hairs from an elephant and we can compare! Make sure you get them Tarzan style.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    How about racoon, cougar and bear? That's what we have around here .... I'm sure one of the nice mountain lions would be happy to donate ..... Here kitty, kitty, kitty. :-P

Turtle

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Be careful. The environmentalists have an eye out for the hair of endangered species (like on the top of Dave Monettes and my head.............)

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    First hand experience here.....

A friend has a Stardivarius violin, the Marquis De Rivera, they also had a Guarnerius and many other very good violins.

I and all of have heard the violins played by some of the country's top players. We CAN tell the difference in the sound.

We did blind tests and there was NO comparison between the Strad and the other violins.

At one time, there were three Strads in the house at one time.

Maybe the story is a little biased.

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US