Violin study

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pisarenko, Jan 8, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's really not a completely fair comparison when some of the instruments are hundreds of years old. Wood continually changes (on a molecular level) as it ages, even after it's been made into a musical instrument and it's been dry for years. In the acoustic guitar world, if the guitar is built with solid tonewoods, it will continually sound better as it gets older. That's well known and anyone who has had a great guitar for more than a few years knows this from firsthand experience.

The results that Solar Bell got in his (just as scientific) study .... are more of what you'd expect. Those strads are not legendary for nothing. Plus, they have a few hundred years head start in sounding better than the ones recently constructed. I like his study better.

Turtle

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    What about Bigfoot hair? They said it had some sort of magical qualities, just sayin':-P
    But wait, I think there's entirely too much violins here on this thread to begin with:roll:ROFL

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Actually over 3, but there were three there as they were trying them out to decide on which one to purchase.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Wow, I didnt even know you could buy them. I thought they were all in a museum. How many are out there that get played?

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    One thing I find very interesting in this conversation is that some posters who had not handled these instruments and did not take part in the test - and who were not even violinists themselves - somehow seemed to dismiss the opinions of the violinists who actually handled and played the instruments.

FWIW, I took a similar test (with a grain of salt). It was simply with two instruments, a Strad and an unnamed modern instrument. I didn't want to try to identify which was the Strad because I thought I wasn't really qualified to do that, rather to just state which of the two I preferred. After the first and/or second note, I could identify the second instrument as having more body and richness and I preferred it. It turned out to be the Strad.

I've taken part in a ton of these comparison hearing tests regarding saxes and sax mouthpieces and in the end they are often inconclusive. There is just a lot a player can do in the process of getting adjusted over time to an instrument and also in how a person plays instruments that can change how an instrument (or mpc) plays from one player to the next. Also, I'm not convinced that when a person knows the brand/model of an instrument involved in a comparison test, that there's not a subtle psychological effect also, where sometimes the "mind leads the body", sound-wise.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Tell KT that there are some wild camels living in the deserts around southern California and Nevada, and that if he looks, he can find a new source of bow hair to make those Strads really sing.

Apparently, and this came out of research into the Old West for a screenplay, before they settled on HORSES for the Pony Express, they tried camels. They went to Arabia and purchased quite a few of these beasts and brought them to America, where they tried them out (in California) for their upcoming communications system (what would become The Pony Express). It didn't go well. The camels were difficult, to say the least, and many of them escaped into the desert. Eventually, they gave up and just left them. They went with horses instead, bought the best horses in America, so their riders could outride the Indians and other dangers along the way ... and so went the legendary Pony Express. It lasted exactly 18 months, when the TELEGRAPH went through, coast to coast, making them obsolete, overnight.

The camels are still there .... Go get some hair, KT!:-P

Turtle

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

It's not necessary to take part in the test or play the violin or handle these old instruments to conclude that the test was not very conclusive. I wan't disparaging their abilities (the violinists), but rather just saying that the opinions of two violinists (any two violinists) doesn't tell you much. My experience of living with someone who owns a 250 year old violin (not a Strad) gives me some insight.

I think they SHOULD do a scientific test .... and Solar Bell, if you're listening, maybe you should apply for a gov't grant to study it.:dontknow:

Turtle

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Camels KT? You vant camels, vee heff camels about 600,000 vild camels. In fact Australia's vild camel population is the biggest in de vorld.
    Camels are exported from Oz for the live Camel trade - often to Saudi Arabia, and as camel meat - they are certified free range, vegetarian, camels. I reckon ve could do camel hair too, if you vish. Vy don't you call?

9. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    If people that build violins today built one Identical to a Stradivarius, used the same grade material for the bow along with the same wood for the violin etc. Identical bracing and so forth... there would STILL be a noticeable difference in sound. The older a wooden instrument gets that is built well, the more the sound opens up and a natural reverb results more and more as the wood dries out from long use. I remember hearing a Guitar, martin, made in 1967 and a New one... worlds appart. The new one looked better, but the old one just sounded umbelievable.

Trumpets because they are made out of brass, I cant seem to see how age would effect the instrument in a 'good' way but rather... in a negative way *shrugs*.

If those proffessionals after all these years of playing could not tell the difference, they should resign from music because they clearly will never 'get it'.

Back to trumpet, there is only so much you can do to an instrument to get more resonance/sound out of it before it becomes a flop, just like the violins, I do not see how there is 'heaps of room' for improvement over what Monette as an example have already done so. Constant pitch centre mouth pieces, resonate extremelly well and intonation is great. The only thing I would see as an improvement is making all the notes in tune without having to use the slides for the low D etc. However to what I understand, it is physically impossible to make all the notes in tune like on most other instruments and thats why slides are provided to drop the pitch when neccessary.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Sorry for the edit.