Virtuoso

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I agree with the first part...many wonderful musicians probably aren't "virtuosos" in the sense of otherworldly, Vizzutti-like mastery of the technical side of the horn. However, I think true vituosity must include world class musicianship as well. Without this, you just have a technician.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Virtuoso?
    Someone that's in the upper percentile of something. Someone very skilled (which has nothing to do with being virtuous) I think its safe to say Miles wasn't very virtuous.

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Following on from that, Vizzutti is pretty virtuosic - how many people outside of the trumpet playing community own an album by him? I'd guess the number is fairly low. NB - this is not a slight on Vizzutti, he's one of my absolute favourite players.

Now, how many people own an album by Miles? Virtuosity is an admirable pursuit, but it's not the be all and end all. One should, of course, strive to be as good as one can possibly be, and always to improve, but not achieving virtuosity should not be considered a failure.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I agree that not being a virtuoso isn't failure, however, not making the effort to be a virtuoso is.

5. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Fair point.

6. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    One result of virtuosity is that the performer dazzles his audience.... Miles could do that with 3 notes. On the other hand, other virtuosos have a facility that means their technique is flawless, and very speedy, possibly initially thrilling, but not emotionally engaging.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If I'm reading you right what you're saying is that virtuosity (when it comes to the arts) is a personal choice. I totally agree.
    Some would see Marc Chagal as a virtuoso in painting while others might say YUK!!
    Some would hear John Coltrane as a virtuoso on the sax while others might say "just a bunch of fast notes"
    That's a really neat insight. Cool Beans!!
    Virtuosity is determined by the audience.
    I guess, given that, the best thing to do is to forget about being a virtuoso and work on making yourself the best musically and marketing yourself every chance you get. The listening public will determine if you're a virtuoso.
    Of course the down side to that is the person may be dead for years before the work and the abilities to perform the work is appriciated.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The REAL virtuoso does not market themself. Other people make money doing that. Virtuosos are business desasters. They need help.

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I was waiting for somebody to go there. IMO virtuosity is not a recipe for commercial success and popularity. Being a virtuoso doesn't guarantee a glamorous career and not being one is not a recipe for professional failure. It has to do more with marketing and pure luck. However, poor players are quite unlikely to have a successful career no matter how good are they in marketing.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Herb Alpert was not an exceptional player, but had great success. Stefan Mrosch is an underwhelming player that also is "marketed" quite well. Financial success has nothing to do with musical aspects, rather with being in the right place at the right time, or having someone "create" the right time.

Nick, I owe you an E'Mail. This weekend!