Visit to "House o' brass"..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Aw, Jeez.................You mean you already named it? Shira?

Why a female name?

Yeah, I know.............Giving your baby a female name will make it less temperamental and easier to work with......And she won't cheat on you with other players........

;-)

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I always thought it was a prerequisite to name your horn before Dave started building it? :lol: Wasn't that in the forms you filled-out Alex? Like a human going into brain surgery they must be able to ask questions along the process and test out all the connections… :roll:

They play a concert A and ask “Shira?, can you hear us now?â€
    Concert D is played, “can you hear us nowâ€
    And so on…

By the way, I have the utmost respect for Dave’s work… I’m just messin’

MIKEY... "less temperamental and easier to work with"... you're kidding RIGHT? :lol:

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Both of you....very funny. LOL. Yeah, I named HER Shira - which means "song". Appropriate, dontcha' think?

4. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Yeah...they're good horns...I got great deals on all of them. My friends always scoffed at me for spending all my money on trumpets...but they spent all theirs on stereo systems, and all sorts of stuff....I thought spending my money on my career was an okay thing to do!!

My Blackburn picc is a great horn, but the sound is a bit heavy on it...I'm actually thinking about moving to something else, but I'm not going to worry about it until later!

Louie

P.S. isn't it good luck to give stuff female names? Like a boat...always call it a her, and give it a female name! I knew a guy who named his trumpet Oliver...Oliver didn't sound so good...now if he had only named it Olivia...

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Louie,

I've heard that too... I wonder why? Maybe because women are "life givers"... which is a nice thought when it comes to an instrument... always giving life to new sounds... etc. :-)

6. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Louie,

If you ever decide to sell that Blackburn piccolo, you let me know! That thing sounds wonderful! I mean, I like my Benge and all, but it can't compete with your Blackburn. I need to play that LT too, and I thought your Chicago was great!

Eric

Sorry to hijack your thread, but all of this horn talk has me drooling again. :-)

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Louie,

This probably belongs in a new thread, but I'm curious about something...

as a student, it might be safe to say you still play quite a bit on your Bb... (don't read too much into that statement everyone, it's just a way to preface the question)...

... how do you handle going back and forth between you Bach Bb and your Monette C?

I'm sorry ahead of time if this opens up a can of stinky worms for all those non- Monetteers :whistle: (didn't want to say "haters"... not so close to X-mas)... it must be quite a adjustment (?)

Any others in the same boat as Louie please jump in... :-)

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    When I had a monette C and a bach Bb, I played the C in concert band, brass quintet and orchestra. The only time I really played on my Bb was some solo lit. and jazz band.

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I guess that means you prefered your Monette to the point you didn't mind transposing everything and anything to play it. ;-)

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I currently face that challenge and have commented on it before. Having one instrument of superior craftsmanship over my others (in this case, it is Jim Thompson's old Yamalone C trumpet) is a challenge. I have an assembly line Bach 37 Bflat. There is a definite "adjustment" in approach to playing each - and they are worlds apart. If I have to go back and forth a lot, I play my assembly line Bach C when playing the Bach Bflat because it is almost impossible to go quickly back and forth from the Bach to the Yammie C without small complications to make it uncomfortable. If I am playing MOSTLY or ALL C trumpet, then I play the Yammie because it is a superior instrument to my Bach C. I already know this quandary will become a chasm when I get my Prana, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. My C trumpet makes most of my money and I play it on almost anything (yes, I transpose a lot.....it really is second nature). However, I will, in the future, enjoy having a Bflat that is of similar ilk to my C.

Footnote: The Yammie I have was played by Jim his entire ten-year stint with the ASO. It had a LOT of work done on it by Bob Malone before he went to work for Yamaha. This horn does not play like an assembly line Yammie. It has its own unique traits.