Visit to "House o' brass"..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Great... I come back and it's snowing as I landed. Ah, well...

Greeetings, fellow space travellers. I had a great visit with the man from Portland and his crew of geniuses. I'm not kidding, these folks are absolutely wonderful. They're wonderful to me but I'm always happy to have it confirmed how other customers are treated, as well, no matter what their experience level. There was a young fellow by the name of Curtis who was getting his first Monette mouthpiece. it seemed like it might be an early Christmas present or smehting like that and after he was greeted by Tom Rainey, Dean Comley dropped whatever project he was involved in and helped this young man for an hour while he explained how to play test mouthpieces and such. An hour! And I've seen this sort of thing over and over again.

Anyways, the main thrust of the trip was to figure out the ultimate mouthpiece for me and we did. After two days of playing back and forth, very critical listening and analysis, designing, grinding, adjusting, and a whole lot of good food from nearby restaurants, we settled on a new version of the C1-4S with a newly shaped bowl, throat, and external shape. We also decided that those permutations would be the ones specifically for the Prana 1 C trumpet as a default mouthpiece blank. The only way that I can describe the sound is if you can imagine great clarity with a rather penetrating fundamental in the sound, then you have the picture. I must have played, without exaggeration, the Parsifal prelude at least 50 times during those two days, never mind all the other solos. Huge targets with no sacrificing the depth and stability of sound. Amazing! I don't know how he does it. I was there and I still don't completely understand how you make something that's so good better. That's why I play them and he makes them, I guess.

We also got in a very nice photo session , the results of which I hope will be on the website presently. David Bamonte also came by and we had the usual great time hanging together, blowing down tunes, eating Chinese food, listening to him play. The guy is a beautiful player and very versatile. He plays on a Raja that once belonged to Schlueter. I honked on it for a while. I had forgotten what sensational instruments those are. Warm, huge sound without an end to it. You'd have to be 7 feet tall with lips of iron to overblow that thing.

We also made a Bb version of the "Manny mouthpiece" and it's swinging. I'll be receiving it tomorrow in time for a rehearsal with the good "Doc"tor.

All in all, it's a trip worth taking if you're interested in checking out his stuff. They treat you great even if you are asking the same questions they've heard 400 times before. They keep it fresh and exciting because there's always so much going on there. The R&D is never-ending for those folks.

Anyways, that's the report from the frozen north. A great trip with great toys to experiment with.

ML

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Welcome home!

-cw-

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Manny,

You are one lucky dog! I know, I know, its not luck! ;-)

So Monette will be producing new mouthpieces based on your prototypes?

That's cool! I'd love to get my lips on one. :D

Hmmm... I wonder how long it takes to drive to Portland?

So, what's the first thing you notice when you switch from your current mouthpiece to the new one?

Greg

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The very first thing I heard was how much broader the shape of the sound was. It was almost visual. A really strong ring to it yet very warm.

Really fun to play.

ML

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    While all of this is fresh in your mind, perhaps you could give us a lesson on how an individual should pick the right Monette mouthpiece for them.

Certainly, its tempting for many of us to think that if we buy the same mouthpiece that our favorite artist uses then we will be able to improve our playing. However, I believe you have said that is not the proper way to get the best 'fitting' mouthpiece.

So, what say you, Manny?

Greg

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Good question, I think, Greg...

I think the key is two sided. The right mouthpiece is one that has the right balance of ease of changing registers with the fullest sound you want relative to your job needs and taste. I like clarity, warmth, and high C's you can knock out all day long. Others will have different needs.

If you can play all over the horn with a minimum of embouchure shifting, I think that's the equipment you need. If you can play in the upper register without undue pressure, that's another indicator. There's a lot to consider as it's a deeply personal choice.

ML

7. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Sounds like a good trip Manny, didn't get a chance to see my horn did you? 993 with "collin" engraved in valve section, its in the last stages right now according to Tom.

8. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Hey Manny!

Sounds like your trip was a great one!! I think Mike Thompson is playing on one of the C1-4 prototypes, and he really likes it. I talked to him the other day about the possibility of a change. I'm on a C2 right now, and am looking for something a little more "orchestral" (whatever that means!)

He said that the 1-4 has a rim shape about halfway between a 1-2 and a 1-5. This sounds about like what I'm looking for! I'll have to give the shop a call!

Also...I'd love to see the new body style of the mouthpiece. What's different about it than previous designs? Can you post a picture?

Louie

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Lou,

The mouthpiece externally is only slightly different-looking from a typical STC2 blank. It's a tiny bit trimmer (like it lost weight before the holidays!) but the guts are different (bowl shape, backbore... that kind of stuff).

For what it's worth, I think the C2 is a lovely orchestral mouthpiece with a beautiful sound, played properly. At this point I have the only one of this design since it's a prototype but I have a feeling this is going to become one of Dave's most popular mouthpieces.

ML

10. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Cool Manny!

Thanks so much for your reply. I just saw on the Monette website one of the pictures that you took...a good one of you playing, with a profile view of the mouthpiece.

Thanks again!

Louie