Visit to "House o' brass"..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Congratulations!!!!!

You will love the trumpet, I know I do. I want to try that new mouthpiece. I think I will give the shop a call on Monday.

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Alex,

Excellent! I visted the 'House 'O Brass' back when it was in Chicago after a very long waiting period (it was only 6 months back then) about 1991. I ended up with an MC-61 and knowing it was made just for me was quite amazing.

In the old shop they had a play test room that doubled as the ping pong room (the table fit just perfectly). I took a friend along with me to listen to me play, and he and Dave had a game before I started playing. My friend ended up beating Dave!

I was going in after Brian Perry (Chicago Lyric) and had heard him rattle of literally dozens of excerpts flawlessly from memory. Wow! What a sound.

I had prepared for my play test like I would for an audition. My instructor was playing a Monette at the time and he told me that Dave wouldn't let anyone play "Pictures" for the play test. I worked up a lot of great, but more obscure excerpts and a solo from Arban (7 things in all). I think that made quite an impression. I played through everything several times and Dave just looked at me and said, "It sounds great! I don't need to change a thing!"

It does play like a dream (to this day).

There is one thing that I would bring up just so that you can start planning. I had my 3rd valve break several years ago (he has since changed to a brass spring cage to elimate this failure mode in his current designs). He replaced all of my valves for me, but I was without my horn for months. I was very fortunate to borrow some horns (a Bach and a Yamaha) during this period, but it was VERY DIFFICULT to go back to a stock instrument.

There may be a time when you have to send your horn back for repairs (hopefully not major rework like me), and with the very long back order period, repairs can take some time. If you can plan ahead for this and find a backup horn (in the same class that you are stepping up to), you will be much better off. I don't make my living with my instrument, but that 7 months that I was without my horn was a difficult time for me. Not only does it take time to acclimate to Monettes, but it takes a LOT of time to acclimate back!

I know that you are in for a wonderful treat! The anticipation that you experience will make your instrument that much more fantastic when it finally arrives.

Congratulations!

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Congrats Alex!

I won't even ask if I can play it but I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you do :-P

I'm so happy for you. I can say with almost absolute certainty that I'll never own one. But good for you, and tear it up girl! I'm sure you've earned it...

5. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    I was at the Monette shop today to get another mouthpiece. It was a great visit with all of the staff. I play-tested a few Bb trumpets too. All very nice, but each different. There was an LT model that was about to be shipped off that I was really fond of. They do amazing work. If I ever win the lottery, you know where some of the money will end up. :-)

I'd like to ad my my congratulations too, Alex. I'm sure it will be the best equipment purchase ever for you.

And Collin, I did see your trumpet in the final fitting room. It was disassembled, but the note on the tray said the valve fitting was complete, so it shouldn't be long. It looked beautiful, and while they are pretty busy right now, I'm sure they'll do all they can to get it shipped to you before Christmas.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Awesome!

So, when can we expect Doc to be 'converted' to the church of Dave? ;-)

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Just to give you guys a taste of the service Manny spoke so glowingly about......They FedExed my receipt and information packet with expected date of completion (September 2006). I am on the books for a Prana 1 C trumpet. Wooooo hoooooo! I almost can't believe it myself as I sit here holding the official writing on Monette letterhead. Now I have approximately 9 months to save up the dough. If you hear of any bank robberies in the Atlanta area, just ignore it so you don't blow my cover. ;-)

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Your making me want to buy another trumpet

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Alex.. what flavor of Koolaid did they send with the receipt? :evil:

I got lime... yum.

ML