Visit to "House o' brass"..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Ha ha ha. You guys think YOU have a war department. What about us few who have a man at the helm of that department? Now, THAT is a challenge. Shira (means "song") will be paid for completely out of my earnings and savings (funds I was saving for completion of my studio out back). I will sell a horn....still scratching my head as to which one though. All of my church gigs will go into the "Monette Kitty". I will be selling a lot things I no longer need on ebay. No loans here. This is a finance free house.....well, except for the house. LOL. (and students loans that will never end). Our cars are paid for and we only use AMEX and pay it off every month.

So, let me get this straight John.....all I had to say to the head of the war department was "keep momma happy"? I didn't have to do all of that tying him to a stake, lighting it on fire, waving chicken bones and dancing around it under the full moon to cast a spell? Dang.....I wish I had known that earlier. BTW, since you play a Monette mouthpiece, you are already dabbling....hee, hee.

Loudog and Jazzbird - I can only imagine how happy you guys must be with your horns. Did the waiting just about kill ya'? I am excited about going out there and experimenting for a couple of days. After that trip, the waiting will indeed be most difficult.

Pwillini - I saw that horn on ebay. So, it almost sucked you in, eh? If you don't already, you should get your hands on a mouthpiece. That shouldn't ruffle the feathers of the WAR DEPT. too much. ;-)

2. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    :-(

School teachers can't get to the dark side. Not without a long wait and a miracle. I would love a chance though.

frank

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Frank,
    Put it in the budget as a teaching tool! :lol: :lol: ...
    Or play the files off the Monette site of Manny to your principal... :lol: :lol:

4. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    As soon as it is out, I will make sure you get a copy. PM me with an email addy that can handle large attachments and I'll send you a preview. :cool:

5. JazzBird

JazzBird New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    Alex.....The Prana horns are incredible and worth it. It started with me playing a classic mpc 3 years ago...then a prana mpc for a year..and then I just had to have the rest of the horn ! You will have a great time at the shop. I knew after about 60 seconds of playing that I was going to buy one....

The waiting time is long and I found the hardest period was about 2 months before...I was climbing the walls about 2 weeks before it arrived :shock: But once you get it...you will be hooked. I double my practice time since I enjoy playing so much more now and as a result my playing has improved dramatically in the last 7 months.

You're gonna luv your Prana ...and please post about your trip to the shop !

JazzBird

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I'm with you, my brother on that!

7. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Hmmm, I'm edging toward the Dark Side. Maybe in 5 years, as a 50th birthday present. Does the House of Brass really let you come in and play test their gorgeous horns? Even if you're a nobody? Hmmm, my wife has a cousin in Portland that we havne't seen in a while (Darth Vader's theme begins to play....) :evil:

8. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Alex...I'm much to poor to afford a Prana!! I'm still in school!! I actually bought my 2000LT from Ed Hoffman, in the Baltimore Symphony.

I love it...it's an absolutely fantastic instrument!

Louie

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Heh, then you are way ahead of me when I was your age....you young whipper snapper....LOL I was playing on some old Bach C with the laquer peeling off, etc. I don't even remember.....and I don't really want to. LOL.

10. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I was playing a Chicago Monette C for a long time that I bought from Mike Thompson. I saved up forever for this horn (my teacher in undergrad owns one with a s/n in the low 70's!). I thought I'd never ever sell it, until I played the 2000LT at the ITG conference in Denver. I wanted one SO badly!!

A few months ago, the original owner of my Chicago tracked me down, and offered to buy the horn from me at almost double the price I paid for it...couldn't believe it!! Then it just so happened that Ed was selling his. I jumped on this one...I just had the guy buying my horn send the the check right to Ed, and I drove down to Baltimore to pick it up! Came with two cases...a double and a single, and two mouthpieces. One heck of a deal!! Both my current teacher (Langston Fitzgerald...I'm a grad student at Penn State) and my former teacher, Dan Schmidt, were just blown away by the stroke of luck. I am too!!

Louie