visualizing on piano

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 5, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm pasting a quote from SAM24 in order to start this THREAD: "And on getting confused going up or down...I suggest finding a piano and working it out on there. It helps you visualize, at least it helps me. I dont know what you other, much more competent, trumpeters think about visualizing on piano or not but I find it much easier then thinking valves or notes on a staff."
    I'd like to hear what other TMer's think about visualizing on piano rather than thinking valves or notes on a staff when playing an exercise without written music. And for that matter, might it be useful when improvising?

crow

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. Harold Zinno

Harold Zinno Pianissimo User

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    I visualize on piano often when I am reading chord changes for improvising

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Harold Zinno,
    Can you give a step by step about your process, and how you transfer it to the trumpet?

thanks..... crow

4. Harold Zinno

Harold Zinno Pianissimo User

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Crow

Because I play a little piano, when I see for instance an c-7 I visualize the notes layed out on the keyboard c eflat g bflat as they would be under my fingers if I played the chord on the piano, from there depending on the contour of my solo I choose the notes accordingly that I will play. I guess this more of a chordal approach rather than a linear scale approach.

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Harold Zinno,
    I really appreciate your example of the "chordal approach". Now I'd like to hear from someone that uses a linear scale approach, a la vizualization.

crow