Vocalizing Your Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tones, Jan 19, 2009.

1. LarryWiseman

LarryWiseman New Friend

Jan 20, 2009
    http://larrywiseman.com
    Hello...first timer; I almost never make blanket statements as to how to play, because everyone is different. I can only attest to what works for me & some days, it doesn't work as well as others. For me, singing helps with solfeging tones rythms, or for reading, but it has never helped my playing sound. Personally, I think that the breathing approach to a vocalist's breath control slightly differs from playing brass, because as trumpet players, we are inhaling a huge bag of air, and compressing the sound out through an aperture in two lips. Singing, while similar, is controlling air over the vocal chords. I just thought that I would stop by, and say hello. if anyone of my old friends are out there, give me a shout out. Obviously, I am not the late Larry Wiseman, who was an absolutely awesome player. larrywiseman.com

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    The great Arnold Jacobs actually took voice lessons at one point. His philosophy, in part, was "song and wind".

Roy Griffin

3. LarryWiseman

LarryWiseman New Friend

Jan 20, 2009
    http://larrywiseman.com
    His main philosophy was that of increasing lung capacity, and utilizing that capacity with every breath taken to play, whether soft or loud.
    See and hear him explain it much better than I can.
    YouTube - Arnold Jacobs breathing_1

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Part of singing is that you know exactly where the pitches are. This is important on the trumpet, because it won't put every pitch right in the center of the note automatically. Pianists don't have to worry about this, because if they press a key, it's going to be the pitch they intended. A good ear is a must on the trumpet.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are plenty of fine players that shouldn't sing - except through their horns, although the shower can cover up a multitude of sonic sins......... :evil:

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I said I wanted to sing and they handed me a cornet. Much better option for me. when I sing for students I apologize in advance for my tone. then sing the exercise or phrase for them. I use singing to demonstrate certain fundamental approches to breathe and articulation technigues. They get the concept right away. saves a lot of time and explainations.