Voiceprint = Trumpetprint?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by J. Jericho, Mar 3, 2016.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It has been said that one's voice has characteristics that can be measured and quantified in order to recognize and identify a particular speaker. It has also been said that since each brass player has unique lung, oral cavity, tongue, and embouchure characteristics, one's sound will be distinct and different from anyone else's. Can the same or similar technology and analysis that can identify a speaker also identify a particular player? If one's voice can be identified even when disguised, can a player be identified regardless of which instrument one uses or which timbre a player uses to color the sound, i.e. bright, dark? Or would determining a player be more akin to identifying a speaker who has used an electronic voice scrambler?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The trumpet is more difficult at best as we are listening to the standing wave of the trumpet, not something generated by the human body. That being said however, we really do not distinguish players by tone, rather by style - more like the analysis of handwriting. How the player phrases, how much time they use to breathe, shape and character of the attack, dynamics. Whether or not these would be enough clues to judge from in an ensemble, I have my doubts but who knows. I am sure that the recording engineer has a play in how much direct sound of the instrument gets into the mix and thus gives us a more or less clear picture of the players sound in the first place.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To my knowledge no one has been IDd from an electronic voice scrambled message. That is to say such has not been accepted into evidence in any Court here in the US.

4. Pascalouisiana

Pascalouisiana Mezzo Piano User

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    Hi,
    It isinteresting that you (Jericho) have a question/idea very comparable to a project I'm actually working on.
    I'll like to see the answers from other members, but the title should be Voiceprint = Trumpeterprint? not Voiceprint = Trumpetprint?

As the trumpet print is concerned, I've started to make a sound analysis of the different brasses I have in my house (flugle, cornets, trumpets, solo alto horn, baritone, slide and valve trombones, french horn) to see (not hear which is subjective) the physical differences in wave lengths and amplitude.
    My next step is to see how the mouthpiece used changes the print, considering a unique instrument. (It is said that some instruments are very mouthpiece sensitive, some others not so much)
    Finally, using the same mouthpiece on all the cornets, I want to compare their prints (sound signature).
    I will do the same with the trumpets.

I don't have a studio (anymore) and will do it with an app on my phone. I encourage all members who read this to do the same. This would give us an interesting data base to determine what instruments are very comparable in sound characteristics. (We could also identify the origin of some stencil instruments...)
    I will use DropBox and a shared link to communicate the results.
    As for the app, I use SoundCheck from the Google Play Store.
    What do y'all think?

Pascal

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd say that certain trumpet players have very distinctive tones. Rafael Mendez, Maynard Ferguson, Harry James and Maurice Andre are ones that immediately come to mind, and Wynton Marsalis for his classical playing is another one with fairly distinctive tone.

Oddly enough, drummers are similar - the way a drummer hits drums is pretty distinctive, and I've gotten to where I can often tell when renowned session drummer Hal Blain is playing, although with him it's as much a style thing as it is how he hit the drums. Another one is Roger Hawkins, of the famed Muscle Shoals rhythm section - he has a very distinctive snap and crack for how he hit the snare drum.