Volta

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brekelefuw, May 11, 2007.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have been a Bjork fan for about 7 years. I have most, if not all of her non live albums. I think she is an incredible musician and composer and singer.
    Her new album Volta just came out this week and I just finished listening to it.

Now, you may wonder what this has to do with trumpet. I'll tell you.

You may be familiar with Bjork's movie "Dancer in the Dark" It is an incredibly emotional movie that I can only watch if I am really in the mood for an emotional beating. It's opening credits feature a brass choir playing a piece entitled Overture to a New World. It is composed by Bjork and arranged for brass by Vince Mendoza. It is so moving. I highly suggest watching the movie, or at least getting the song on iTunes or something.
    Last year Bjork composed the soundtrack to an independent movie called Drawing Restraint 9. This album featured 3 or 4 tracks that had brass choir writing, but the writing was very atonal. I really like it, but it isn't something you listen to when you go to bed.

From these two albums with brass, she discovered what an incredible texture range she can get with brass so on her new album EVERY TRACK features brass playing.

The writing is really really well done and the albums flows from top to bottom perfectly. Her vocals are great, and she even sings two duets on the album, which is not something she usually does.

If you have an extra $12 (my copy was $13.99 Canadian, which is CHEAP) I highly suggest listening to some brilliant music that features Bjork's unique energy as well as beautiful brass writing. If you don't wanna shell out $12, take a look at her on iTunes. I highly suggest track #3 on the album. It is a gorgeous poem by an Icelandic poet, translated into English accompanied by drums that kind of sound like Koto drums, and a really pretty brass choral background.

PS: if you didn't get the title of the album, it is Volta.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    A friend of mine runs a big band in Denver and he's done a bunch of big band arrangements of Bjork tunes. I haven't gotten to hear any of them, but I've heard good stuff about it.

Jason.

3. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I love Bjork! I had forgotten about Dancer in the Dark...and I agree with you there, it's a pretty heavy movie emotionally speaking. I had also forgotten about the brass choir stuff...I wonder if the score/parts for that stuff is available? That would be sweet to do them with a brass ensemble...

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I lifted and arranged the Overture to Dancer in the Dark for the brass choir at my college. I can send you the Sibelius score if you want.

She was a jazz singer for a bit. There is an album of hers called Gling Glo you might be able to find at a good cd store that is her singing with a trio.
    On her first really popular US release she did a big band chart of the song "it's oh so quiet"

5. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    OH, one other thing I forgot to mention. Bjork was recently on SNL, and her backup brass band was all females...ostensibly from Iceland. It was pretty sweet and they sounded amazing. The video used to be up on Youtube, but it appears NBC has made a fuss and it was pulled down...the least NBC could do is post it on THEIR website instead...yeesh.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You guys are dragging me into another CD buying binge.
    Thanks for the post. I'll check out the movies on amazon.