Wait... Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nikv, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I saw the other thread on cleaning agents, and that made me think to myself... Is it really necessary to clean a trumpet?

I have read some information that states to clean your trumpet once a month, and I've read some other information that seems more legitimate saying not to clean your instruments very frequently, because it subtracts from tone. (And if you do at all, to have it only be in a reliable acid wash)

So...

To clean... Or not to clean... That is the question.

-nv

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Yeah...I would say clean it...

3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I've heard that if you get enough gunk inside it could actually change the bore and tone of your instrument. My guess is that unless you play with a mouth full of oreo cookies, then this would take quite a while to occur. Maybe it's just me, but there's something about cleaning a trumpet that seems to make me feel better, even if it's not doing the horn any good.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I had my main horns (Bb and C) chem cleaned a few years ago, and since then I brush out the mouthpiece, leadpipe and tuning slide every few days. The rest of the horn has stayed practically spotless. No valve problems either...

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I think if you play alot (like hours a day) you will notice over time that gunk can indeed change the bore of your horn. Especially if your less than disciplined about food and drink while playing (like me).
    That being said, I never clean a horn before a gig or major rehearsal.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    How keeping a horn clean would negatively impact the tone in any way is beyond me. It comes to you clean when brand new, so keep it that way if possible.

If you actually play the thing it's a good idea to clean it out every now and then. The more frequently you play it, the more frequently you should clean it.

A regular (once a month or so) cleaning will prevent gunk building up inside. That alone makes it worth doing...in my opinion of course.

7. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    If you play with a clean mouth (wash, rinse and brush after eating meals and snacks), you shouldn't have to clean your horn more than once every three months. From my experience, anything less than that and I did not have much to clean.

8. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I think cleaning is the better way to go. For my horn, after a couple of months, the slides start getting build up and valves start to get dirty, that's when I clean it. I usually only clean it 3 times a year, but I know I should do it more often...:dontknow:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would like to know what source worth paying attention to is against basic hygiene? It is a no brainer that cleaning the gunk out of a horn can't subtract from the tone as a brass instrument is BRASS and not affected by water. There are so many threads here about basic maintenance.

Nik, if you have been reading recent threads, you should know better. Acid baths are a last resort. Let us know where this source of ignorance is. If you think dirt is legitimate, you need to read more here at TM.

Mao-Tse-Tung also never brushed his teeth with the argumentation that tigers didn't either. I guess if somebody NEVER practices, the grunge in the horn will have more chops than they do. Maybe in that case.............

10. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    WASH IT!! FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T CLEAN OUT YOUR HORN ON A REGULAR BASIS, JUST PUT YOUR NOSE TO THE MOUTHPIECE AND SMELL. You should know that the odour is caused by germs and you are breathing that in.