Wait... Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nikv, Jan 3, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    No - the question is this, is it my trumpet or yours?

If it's mine it gets a very regular bath (I like playing in the bath) - if it's yours, and it is all grotty, who gives a rats ... ooops who cares - certainly not me, except if we share a gig.

Thinks: I've never heard a melodious garbage tip, I bet a dirty trumpet is the same - smells and lowers the tone of the neighbourhood. Perhaps I'm being obtuse, give your little brass mate a bath, mate. It doesn't hurt a bit, and it is really quite cheap.

I've had a brand spanking new Barvura from Harrelsons arrive in the post literally within the last hour - I've played a few notes, taken a few pics, guess what's next - right on - into the bath she goes, TONIGHT. Well, you wash a new car don't you? I get to fondle and caress .... ohh, are you all still there? Did I say that out loud? Oh sh..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Agreed, I sit next to a player in orchestra who never cleans his horn and you can smell it as soon as he takes it out of the case, I hate to think what the inside is like.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Red rot, Acid rot, calcium carbonate, plaque. this is what you get if you don't clean your horn on a regular basis. Not to mention what debris in the horn does to the air column. Stuffy, bad intonation. Not to mention germs that smell really bad. If you are interested I can send you my paper on trumpet maintainence. E mail me directly.

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Rowuk...

There is actually a source on the web that seriously stresses not to clean a trumpet. Visit: www.zacharymusic.com/zachary_Music/TRcarePics.htm

This is scary. His music instructor must have been 'Goofy', the Disney cartoon character!

Cheers...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Either that or "Pig Pen.":shock:

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Phil...how do you like HWP Brass Cleaning Kit? I use the leadpipe and tuning slide "swab" each day after practice. The valve casing swab combined with Simple Green really gets the job done.

I found that the Zachary Music piece made great bathroom reading material....

7. ztrumpet1

ztrumpet1 New Friend

Sep 4, 2009
    Chattanooga TN
    That Zachary music website on cleaning is just just.......I don't even have the words.

8. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I love it! Yesterday I did a thorough cleaning of my POS Pakistani pocket trumpet. My guess is it has never been cleaned so thoroughly, since the tight tubing is impossible to get to without the right brushes. Maybe I was imagining it, but it seemed to play much better after the cleaning. Sort of like the feeling I get after having my car washed and waxed. Seems to zip through the air.;-)

I should start doing that. However, usually at the end of my practice sessions I feel more like slamming the trumpet on to the floor and stomping on it, let alone tenderly cleaing it and gently putting it into its case.:lol:

9. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    From the site linked in the message above:
    "So, my recommendation is don't touch your trumpet.
    Don't do anything to it except two things: OIL THE VALVES and GREASE THE SLIDES"

Right, as long as you never play the horn, all you need to do is oil the valves and grease the slides.

10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    That's probably the only sentences on that page
    that makes some kind of sort of sence,
    but only if they are taken out of context....:roll: