Wait... Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nikv, Jan 3, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why does anybody pay attention to something so obviously stupid? Is there no common sense left? All we do by going to those sites is increase the web hits and perhaps the advertising revenue. Google also caches sites with a lot of hits, regardless of the trash published there. My 9 and 10 year old students learn how to keep their horns clean!

2. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    I always enjoy Rowuk's posts and I always seem to learn something. I did not know Mao Tse Tung didn't brush his teeth because "Tigers don't either". Anybody here ever smell the big cat exhibit at the zoo? I rest my case.

3. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    In elementary school, my band instructor showed us how to clean our horns. Every few months, he would lend me his snake so I could clean mine. You wouldn't believe the amount of green crud that was on the brush when it came out the other end of the horn! Then, more green crud would exit the horn as I flushed warm water through it. And even in elementary school, I could tell there was an amazing difference in the way it played.

As an adult, I somehow don't fill the horn as full of the dreaded green crud as much as when I was a kid, but I can still tell a difference in the way it plays after cleaning. It's like getting a valve alignment free.

Just do it.

-John

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I think the Zachary music piece is satire - sort of like Jonathan Swift's 1729 essay "A Modest Proposal" (if you look it up, you will see the irony here).

5. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Thank you for posting this.
    This is exactly what made me question it!

I do happen to clean my trumpet about once every couple months, but it can be quite a hassle. I was actually searching online to find out if there was information on an easier way to clean your trumpet (there wasn't), and I came across that, and it got me... Well... Nervous.

I'm glad I can confirm that I'm doing something right!

-nv

6. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I pulled my horn out after 25 years of not playing... I did a quick clean on it, but for ~$60 a local music shop completely cleaned everything out and put on new cork for the water keys, and then lubed / oiled all of the necessary parts and it was a day and night difference and well worth it. I would presume it is like anything else .. clean based on use. When I played many years ago I don't think I gave the trumpet a bath more than 3 times a year.

7. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    This Zachary Music website has to be a joke. Don't pay for inexpensive brushes that will prolong the life of your expensive instrument.
    If you must clean it, steal a chopstick from a chinese restaurant or pay for an acid bath?

I would think properly cleaning your instrument helps you understand the different parts and how it works along with keeping it clean and odor and bacteria free.

I recently purchased a new trumpet and the pamphlet that came with it says to clean it almost daily when new.

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am glad that everyone is enjoying this website that I found. I was doing some "research" for Rowuk, who was interested to know if there were any "obscure" sites out there pertaining to this subject.

I would not advise cleaning a new trumpet almost daily. Attention should be paid to the valves and be sure to oil them each day as you "break them in" for about two to three weeks. I might suggest swabbing out the leadpipe and tuning slide after each session.

Cheers...

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Rushtucky! :thumbsup:

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Shoot, I clean my horn JUST to see the cool crap growing in it :shock: