Waiting on the mailman...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Apr 2, 2010.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I left a job on not the best terms and didn't realize that I still had a shipping address set to that location in eBay (or PayPal, I can't remember which). When the item didn't arrive at my home I had to track it down, and then go pick it up at my former job. There was a bit of awkwardness as they thought it was something I ordered for the company before I left, and besides, I didn't even want to be there. Just an uncomfortable situation all around but it was eventually sorted out.

After that I made a point of becoming familiar with how eBay and PayPal work.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just because you live in Australia and have the luxury of a Post Office Box, you've got nothing on me ... we've got one also. Although, it's a mere 2 1/2 blocks from me (approx 1/4 mile) I'm unable to walk that far and back home. This makes me eligible for rural delivery, but we prefer the security of the box. One difference, the clerk doesn't phone when any package arrives ... they send e-mail notice. Although I live in a North Carolina county seat, it only has a 2006 Census of only 700 ... not enough for home delivery .... now my question. Why do we have 2,000 boxes and most of them are in use?

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi Doug,

It gets worse when the notice of failed delivery happens at 1 p.m. on a Saturday. We are be told that the undeliverable parcel may be claimed at the main post office the next business day which is usually a Monday. Then you realize that Monday is an official holiday. Yikes! How you have to wait from Saturday to Tuesday.

It then becomes a good time to work on the virtue of patience and learn to be content to practice your other horns.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I would camp out by the mailbox.

5. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    That sucks, are german custom guys like that in general?

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I had a horn shipped UPS to my home that required a signature for delivery. I got home a half hour after he had shown up, and found a note on my door that said it had been left with a neighbor. That would've been fine if it was the neighbor on the other side, but the neighbors they left it with were new and I had not even met them yet, and on top of that they had gone out! After an agonizing hour wait my new neighbor came over with the box and introduced herself. Thankfully they are a very nice couple, and aside from the occasional loud party have been very easy to deal with.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not in general. Do have my own horror story returning to Germany with my wife and two small kids, missing the flight from Frankfurt to Stuttgart because of a delay in Chicago, being sent via train, and sitting through a four hour intense search after being on our feet for 37 hours.

Had I told the customs official he was acting like a Nazi, or spoken my desire that he enjoy his time in the afterlife where evil people go it could have cost me $4500.

Nothing against the Germans--I suspect all countries have good and bad folk working at all levels. Lucky for me I was only bringing German trumpets back--I might still be sitting at the Hauptbanhof in Stuttgart!