Walking in a trumpet wonderland?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Overtones, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Overtones

Overtones New Friend

Oct 24, 2010
    I am a beginner to the trumpet with music experience from guitar. I
    was thinking of taking my trumpet playing to the road, literally. About
    6 miles exactly through the country roads of small town NC even past
    a Strip Cafe, not bar because this county is dry. They say you should
    walk at least 5 miles a day to stay healthy and I am overweight. I
    figure it would be almost two hours of time just me, my trumpet,
    and the unchained killer dogs. Saying that I am even in enough shape
    to blow a trumpet and coordinated enough to walk while doing so.
    What should I play? I have the arban's and have ordered the arban
    manual from Eric Bolvin. I do know music theory and could hopefully
    could figure things out like scales, chords, and runs on trumpet while on walking. Maybe learn lesson 1 from EB's the arban manual and after I learn it play it while walking while trying to learn lesson 2. I am going to start tomorrow and will tell how it goes I doubt I have enough wind.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    You may form seriously bad habits if you're learning the trumpet while moving... I mean you'll probably end up learning bad habits anyway like the rest of us but... Learning should be done in an environment where it's as easy as possible for you to get to know the instrument.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Certainly there is a propensity toward learning bad habits, but I don't think it can be said (proved)that walking induces such anymore than how one sits or stands when playing/practicing, I learned the "hard way" mostly while walking and sitting on concrete steps or walls, and we had plenty of both all over town. I even sat on the roof of a remote pavilion in the community park. (How I got up there is another story.) Such wasn't because home wasn't a good place to play, what was the problem if I hung around the house was interuptions. Then too, 7 years of marching band (5 hs, 2 college) didn't do much (more) damage either. IMO there are just two physical elements necessary to play well and such are embouchure and aperture.

Strange ! It seemed that no one complained about the "noise" I was making. Just never could play while I delivered newspapers ... just a loss of practice time.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My concern with your proposed method is that there will be far too many distractions to your learning curve. To sit in a practice room, where you can focus on perfecting your skills is far superior. To learn and retain all that is needed to become proficient on the trumpet requires absolute devotion, concentration, and uninterupted focus on the lesson at hand. If your method were superior to the focus method, it would have been the method preferred by teachers and advanced students,( soon to be professional artists ), for the last couple of centuries. Rest assured, yours has NOT been that preferred method.

OLDLOU>>

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Focus", to me, is camera related. How one confronts the task before them is as widely different as would be the value of coins in the pockets of 100 men. When I've push pinned my music to a tree in the woods and nobody else is about, I believe I had as much or more mental concentration on practice than I ever had in a band room or one on one with a teacher.

Seriously, I think many who would have otherwise become accomplished players are gone simply because of confrontation they are given by teacher / instructors. It's the "dunce in the corner" scenario that like other equally defunct scholastic methods has been shown to be ineffective. Practice is practice and it doesn't matter where it is accomplished. Such is individual dedicated concentration. When the objective is to produce a band from the initially unskilled, that is the first step in the wrong direction IMO. Any who think they could form a world famous band from high school trained instrument players / vocalists would be the rarest in the world. However, if the players / vocalists themselves wanted to (badly enough to practice, practice, practice ad infinitum) ... they have a far better opportunity ... but it will not be easy even so.

I would not want any to learn as I have ... but my achievement is that I've enjoyed music all my life, especially so when playing. Looking back, why were there no complaints and my answer is that I then was at least playing passably well. Yes, I'm aware of those who simply knew who I was and who my parents were and just didn't "make waves" in the community. How many high schools today play 5 spring concerts with 2 on Friday and Saturday and again the following week with a free elementary school performance the second week on Friday.
    The evening performances were paid admission, students at half price and adults paying $1.00. These all were to a sold out audience. Times certainly are different today, with symphonies and other musical groups "going down the tubes" at an alarming rate. No, I don't believe it is the method, its the lack of adult concern.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. Overtones

Overtones New Friend

Oct 24, 2010
    Well I tried it last night after happy hour with images of Charlie Parker
    drunk playing sax in the street at night that were depicted in Bird the movie. Let's just say I am not at that level yet, yeah. Enjoyed the
    walk though just wished I had my walkman. Maybe after a few years
    of practice I'll give it another shot.

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    What kind of music do the dogs like?

8. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    You can do CG breathing while walking though. That will help your playing.

Eb

9. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States

You'll certainly develop it though. :play:

This sounds like fun and something you'll eventually write a book about. Proceed ahead with this idea and keep us informed.

10. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    :thumbsup: I am thoroughly relieved by your non-sterile, non-clinical approach and attitude toward practice and playing.

You ARE Correct!! I revel your articulation and sound justification. Play! Play for amusement, for exercise, for spite - but play that horn.