Wandering about Monette Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WaWa, Sep 24, 2005.

1. WaWa

WaWa New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Texas
    Hi everyone,

Im new here, and just had a quick question. :?:

Well, Im a junior in highschool and I am planning on becoming an orchestral player. I play a Bach Strad with a Bach 5C

I do not know very much about monettes other than Ive heard they play VERY well and what Ive read on their website. But I've been saving up and thinking about trying a Monette mouthpiece.

Im not trying to use this as a magic wand because I think i have a decent sound, but I would still like to put more thought into the monette thing.

I guess the question is, how would a monette mouthpiece go with a Bach Strad, or should an amateur even think about getting something as advanced as Monette mouthpieces?

Hmm, That wasnt a very well structured post...but..oh well.

Thanks for your time,
    Peyton

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If there is something about the way your current mouthpiece works (or doesn't work) or something that you feel is missing out of your sound, you could be a good candidate for a Monette mouthpiece. You certainly wouldn't be the first convert.

You might find something you like, and you might not. We are all different as players and thus we have distinctly different needs out of our equipment, and until you go down the road of trying different things to see what works or what doesn't, you won't ever really know if the setup you are currently using is the most optimum for the way you play.

However, if you are getting what you need out of your current setup (which I doubt, otherwise you wouldn't have started the thread) you might want to stick it out for a while.

Personally, if you have the money and want to give it a shot, if I was in your shoes, I would definitely give it a go.

Good luck! :-)

3. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    I switched from Yamaha 16c4-GP to (non-Prana) Monette B2 in my Junior year of high school, 3 years ago, and it was extraordinary. The easiest way to describe it would be to say it was like the Yamaha, but better in every respect.

I then brought a prana a year after that. Adjustment took a month or so, but was worth it.

You should ask the shop for size recommendations, as well as whether or not you should get a Prana.

4. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi

I would give Monette Mouthpieces a try because I am a true believer that a mouthpiece can make or break your sound. In my opinion I would think twice before paying $10,000 for a Monette horn because I believe that if you get a great Monette mouthpiece and you have a good pro horn, then that mouthpiece is pretty much gonna shape your sound. A Monette horn is gonna give you extra projection and the positives that are associated with a heavy horn. But if you want to get a heavy horn you might want to check out Courtois Evolution horns for about $3000. And save yourself $7000. Ive tried the evolution horns and they are great. If you do wanna go the road of a Monette horn they do sound beautiful. But personally I cant justify to myself spending $10,000 on a horn.

Back to the Monette mouthpiece, I'd do it if I were you but you are going to have to learn a new breathing and attack method because Monette mouthpieces have something called constant pitch center.

We are also blessed on this site to have a special contributor named Manny Laureno who is Principle Trumpet for the Minesota orchestra. He uses exclusivly Monette horns and mouthpieces, so write him on his forum
    ''Manny911''

For a real treat check out this Monette 7 minute video from the Monette site showing off thier artists. Cool stuff :D

http://www.monette.net/newsite/video_qt_large.htm
    or try
    http://www.monette.net/newsite/video_qt_small.htm

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I don't own one, but have investigated them too. (Just can't lay out the cash right now).

*edited to remove incorrect statements...sorry for the mix up*

Not to hi-jack, but is there a way a potential buyer can try before buying? This might be a good way for you to see if it is right for you. Seems like you have the right attitude about it.

6. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    This is incorrect. There are certain weights of mouthpieces that they will not sell you unless you own the correct trumpet(i.e. they will not sell you an Ajna or Shakti mouthpiece for your Bach) but there are Prana mouthpieces that are made specifically for non-Monette instruments and the lighter Monettes. I think the weight they use for non-Monette is called STC-1.

7. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    That is correct. The STC 1 and LT are designed for non Monette instruments. I believe both are available in either the standard or PRANA configuration. Monette pieces work very well with a Bach trumpet. That's my setup.

As far as breathing with a Monette mouthpiece. I would suggest you read Dave's acclimation guide on his website or call the shop and ask for it in print. Very informative. To simplify a bit. When playing Monette equipment you want to approach from a body neutral position. Remove all excess tension. Yes, I know, easier said than done-at first. By paying attention to body alignment-as discussed in the guide, this will be easier. I found by taking lessons in Alexander Technique that I have reached a point of getting much more out of Monette mouthpieces than before my study. Also, look at some Hatha Yoga study or martial arts. It is all about KNOWING you body and the relationship to the equipment.

If you have questions call the shop. The folks there are extremely helpful and want you to have the proper equipment.

Best of luck to you.

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Peyton,
    No matter what you do, I would highly recommend calling up the shop and having them send you an acclimation guide. Just tell them you're considering buying a mouthpiece and want to learn more before you plunk down 2 or 3 hundred. They should send it to you for free.
    Also, if you decide you want to try one, try to get to a store that carries them and try as many as you can until you find the best one. Because Monette mouthpieces are made for a specific keyed instrument, switching sizes on a Monette mouthpiece can be a HUGE economic decision, so it's best to get it right the first time. When I switched from a B2 to a B1-2 in my senior year of high school, I had to buy a new B-flat, C and E-flat mouthpiece. I still have a B2 flugel mouthpiece which I don't use enough to buy a B1-2. I'm still happy with the 1-2 mouthpieces, which is good because I've invested a lot of money in different 1-2 mouthpieces. Hope this helps.
    -Jimi

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    So I learned something new about Monette. The designation STC-1 or LT is the wieght, Prana, etc are the model designations? I must have misunderstood what I read in the mouthpiece section of their site.

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Bonus points for anyone who knows what STC stands for :D