Wandering Fingers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Feb 3, 2016.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Axially the same, but it's against the bottom of the leadpipe.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Interesting. That is comfortable, but I shy away from creating a pressure point on the leadpipe, just as my right hand doesn't touch the bell. Is this preference irrational?

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I don't think it's irrational, but then again, my main horn's got a sleeved leadpipe.
    Going with the mentality of "dampen every part but the bell", I don't see how it could hurt, and now you've got three points of contact on your thumb.

4. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I do not normally use the pinky hook, except for page turns and mute changes.

With my current horn, i hold the valve block with my mid-fingers instead of a palm grip - primarily because my hands are large and the grip is more comfortable that way and i have easier execution of the third valve slide. The finger grip also reduces pressure on the embouchure .

Recently I noticed that I tend to hold the horn at a slight angle - valves pointing to about one o'clock - When i focus on keeping straight alignment, I find the horn response and intonation is slightly better.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I was watching an old clip of Dokshizer the other day, and noticed that:

a) he kept his little finger well away from the pinkie hook.

b) didn't shy away from solid pressure points against both the leadpipe and bell.

What I find a little puzzling is why a good instrument designer will try to get his bracing correct to the nearest millimeter to enhance a bell's resonance, at yet the sound doesn't seem too much of affected when we effectively strap a pound of sausages onto it.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Hmmmm... Food for thought.... Do you suppose that designers routinely hang a pound of sausages from the valve block as part of the process?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Perhaps... Valve blocks do have casings you know.