Want to get back into Trumpet - need instrument - not much money :( Advice please :)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alrocks, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK
    Hi, I played trumpet from age 7 to 11 and loved it. I was a first trumpeter and soloist in the school orchestra and could read music, and play by ear. I gave up trumpet to play guitar. God knows why I didn't do both. I have always regretted giving it up! I am now (in my middle ages) an accomplished guitarist and composer. In my time I have worked as a studio sound engineer and producer - including arranging horn parts... and later ran my own studio. I love music! Really love music and love picking up different instruments and working them out.

I last played an old beat up trumpet that someone left in the studio for a while, back in the 90's. I found it difficult to get back into, but it didn't help that the valves stuck and the instrument was basically a load of s**t! Only one mouthpiece too which probably didn't suit me. I used it on a song of mine that I was recording, with mute and without, several tracks layered up. Not one take of course, lots of drop-ins to get it right, and I remember it hurt. It hurt a lot. Guess I was out of practice! It wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been.

Any way, I have always wanted to get back into trumpet again, actually for many years now. At the moment my desire is as strong as ever. Unfortunately my bank balance isn't as strong as my motivation to reacquaint myself with the trumpet. So I am basically looking for a good instrument at a price I can realistically afford. I know from experience that a good instrument is the key to playing better and learning faster.I think the trumpet I had in back in the 70's was an old, slightly beaten up Bach, with slightly slow, often sticky valves etc.

I can't even afford a beaten up Back now days, so I have been looking on Thomann as they have a great variety and a good reputation. I have purchased lots of stuff from them in the past, and know they are good. Well they have their own brand of brass instruments that are available for all budgets. I reckon if they put their name to it, it's probably not going to be too cr*p, providing it fits within a sensible price range. I really don't like the idea of one of these PTrumpet, plastic jobs. They are, well, plastic, and toys etc....

Sound is important to me. I have often found cheap instruments that sound better than more expensive instruments, but suffer more from mechanical failure etc. It's all swings and roundabouts. I would really like to find something that fits into a low budget, but is player-able and has a good sound. Perhaps something that isn't too studenty. I would love to hear any advice and recommendations!

Thomann have some sound samples for their products. This one is low cost and sounds pretty good (TR 200). I was originally thinking about their TR 620, but it sounds a bit dead. The TR 500 sounds sweeter. However, as far as the recorded sample goes, the TR 200 sounds sweetest, but being the cheapest, I imagine it won't be long before it starts getting valve problems! I had a look on Ebay, but I'm a bit lost with what is good and what isn't, and second hand is always a risk.

Any advice would be really gratefully received. I know these kind of questions probably crop up a lot, but there's my story in a nut shell! The sort of price range of the Thomann's I have linked to is the kind of price I am looking at. I know a bigger budget would be better, but that's all I can reach to at the moment :-?

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Re: Want to get back into Trumpet - need instrument - not much money :( Advice please

although you are right in saying that buying used is a risk, in your price range you will be much more likely to find a trumpet that sounds good used than new. those thomann models are ok, but are geared towards students, with quantity being over quality. also remember that without trying the horns out yourself, you dont actually really know what they sound like. keeping that in mind, some tried and true models that would be good for you are an olds ambassador, anything getzen, a conn director, or if you want to raise the price a little bit maybe an olds special, or a conn 22b.kings are also good, but pre umi is preferable although the umi kings arent bad either. good luck!

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Re: Want to get back into Trumpet - need instrument - not much money :( Advice please

Welcome to TM, Alrocks. Best wishes in accomplishing your trumpeting goals!

Are you in the United States? If so, you have many excellent options for a trumpet at nearly any price point. However, this sentence of yours is mildly concerning: "I know from experience that a good instrument is the key to playing better and learning faster." Certainly, it is correct at some level, but you may want to focus more on regaining fundamental skills before committing precious $ too quickly. How much better might that "old beat up trumpet" play with just a little TLC, like washing and lubing? What is that old trumpet, anyway?

We have discussed in the past here on TM the relative importance of the trumpet playing formula, which consists of you the player, your mouthpiece, and your trumpet. You are way more important than the other two items. Many of us believe the mouthpiece is next most important, followed by the trumpet, as long as the trumpet is in good working order.

Jim

4. Djmennis

Djmennis New Friend

Sep 25, 2014
    Cincinnati

Pre LeBlanc or a LeBlanc made Holton t602 would be a great choice, especially the collegiate models. Holton horns have a nice sound with super fast and smooth valves. Good luck and hope you are successful in your return.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

Don't judge the Thomann trumpets from the sound samples given. They don't do these trumpets justice. In your position, I would jump at the TR-620 (and perhaps keep a weather eye open for a 1000-series Jupiter...)

6. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE

I started on a Director Conn trumpet , A student model all the way ,which is perfect for me because I AM a student of the trumpet :D :play:

Buy cheap! after a few months of trying horns you can upgrade .

Dean_0

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire

Where are you from

without that knowledge we are hamstrung in our recommendations and ideas

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI

Where are you? In the US, a good, used Holton is cheap and very underrated. Maybe another brand I might have heard of ;-)

Tom

9. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014

"I know from experience that a good instrument is the key to playing better and learning faster."
    It has to have been said here many, many times, but I'll say it the way I think of it:
    A superior instrument will highlight how well you play, but it will not make you a better player. The goal is to be able to play well on any piece of junk you might have to. As for learning faster...that is not a goal but a fool's prize. Learn correctly, not quickly. There are no shortcuts.

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011