Want to get back into Trumpet - need instrument - not much money :( Advice please :)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alrocks, Jan 25, 2015.

1. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Re: Want to get back into Trumpet - need instrument - not much money :( Advice please

You can find used Bessons on Ebay for under $200. Find a mpc that works for you and give it a try for a while.

2. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK
    Re: Want to get back into Trumpet - need instrument - not much money :( Advice please

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm in the UK, south west, and quite a way from any large musical cities that have a good selection of music shops. The second hand shops here have a few trumpets, but they are normally cheap, nasty student ones, or decent ones that are bashed about.

A friend of mine plays sax, and after moving back from Australia a few years ago, he's just got him self a new sax. He managed to find one online that everyone reckons is better than the top Japanese make (who ever they are), but at a fraction of the cost. I was hoping there may be something similar in the trumpet world.

Barliman2001, I'm not judging on the sound samples alone. I have read a few bits here and there in forums too. I read somewhere that the Thomann TR 620 has a bit of a dead sound, but the TR 500 is better. Have you played any of the Thomanns? I'm wondering if they are good value, reasonably well built, playable and don't sound too horrible? I will probably end up starting out with a Thomann unless something else comes along!

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire

South West. I would if possible take yourself to Taunton to the John Packer Shop/Warehouse. They have usually have a decent range of second hand but to be honest their own brand Chinese import are almost universally superb, I have minor reservations about the 051 but the 151 is very good at the price and the 251 is probably the only trumpet you will need for quite some time.

I suspect a great similarity between the Odyssey instruments and the Thomann lines (some look identical and have the same numbers) The Odyssey Premiers are very very nice (not quite in the same line as the Packers though)

And one more thought for you is Gear for music. I live near York and have been into their showroom very often their base model is pretty ropey but the second one up, This one,Deluxe Trumpet by Gear4music, Gold at Gear4Music.com is a pretty little thing with a nice sound but a little light and tight for an adult (I fear the Thomann one you mention might be the same)

If you go to the GFM website and look at the two coppergate trumpets they are both very fine instruments for their price. If I had not had the cash for the Yammie I now play I would have had the more expensive Coppergate Pro model

There are those who have it in for Chinese instruments on here, especially in the states where numerous poor quality anonymous horns were dumped on the market. In the UK for me they fill a gap in the market where we only have access to very poor 70's beater at rather expensive prices for the state they are in.

I hope this helps you. I would strongly advise you to take a look at Packer's though

A

4. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa

I have recently purchased the Thomann 620 and it works great for me. I can't imagine a better beginner's budget trumpet. The Tr500 is also good but slightly more expensive. Look out for B-stock on the Thomann website - those are instruments that have been returned but aren't defective in any way. They sell them at quite a good discount, and they come with the same money-back guarantee and three-year warranty.

5. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa

And just to add to my previous post: almost every student horn, from Bach to Yamaha to Thomann, these days is made in China. Some are rubbish. But reputable companies like Thomann or John Packer have a reputation to uphold. the Thomann instruments are not well known outside of Europe, but their name brand has been around for a long while. They have a cheaper range - Startone - and those I would avoid. But the Thomann range is very well constructed and sound decent, and every instrument is inspected in Germany before being packaged and sent out. Yes, If you have ambitions, you may want to spend a bit more and go for a better-known brand. But if you're on a budget and just want to get started, I'd rather spend $200 on a brand-new Thomann instrument than take my chances on eBay.

6. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK

Cheers Rob, I read your thread "Thomann Trumpet Worth it?", which is what actually brought me to this forum in the first place! I am very close to clicking the "Buy now" button on a Thomann TR 500. The TR 500 for a few reasons 1) A comment someone posted on your thread saying they had gone from a TR 620 to a TR 500 and preffered it. 2) The TR 500 sounds better on the sound sample (I know it's just a recording). 3) The TR 500 has stainless valves and my old trumpet had monel valves and were always problematic, and that haunts me slightly, so I'd prefer to try stainless.

The TR 500 is £20 more, but seeing as I can't really afford either of them any way right now, I might as well put an extra 20 on my bank over draught and also get a mute for another 20. Well I've never been very responsible with money, especially when it comes to music and buying instruments. I have loads of guitars, amps and other instruments that I also couldn't afford at the time, but I still have most of them so the maths must have worked out some where. Perhaps that's why I have debts! :shock: Well for me music is more important than money! The hardest part will be trying to justify it to my girlfriend :-) Now I'll go and have a quick cup of tea, and think about it a bit more before I tentatively press the "Buy now" button, and get that rush of cold blood as my conscience tells me I shouldn't have just done that.

7. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa

Go for it mate! I also had some explaining to do when I got back from my trip, but it was worth it!

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona

I have this discussion with some of my students now and then. They want a shiny new trumpet (or mpc) and think that their old beater is what is holding them back.

I quickly squash that argument by swapping horns. "Here, you play MINE and I will play YOURS and we will see if you sound any better, or if I sound worse..."

Of course, we all know how that ends up.

The trumpet IS NOT a musical instrument... YOU ARE.

9. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK

I ordered it and it's on it's way. Looking forward to it arriving!

10. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK

I totally agree. If you are referring to me saying, "I know from experience that a good instrument is the key to playing better and learning faster." What I mean by that is that a bad instrument can hold you back, put you off and make you give up if you do not enjoy playing it. E.g learning to play on a trumpet with slow or sticky valves or some other problem will give you a bad experience and frustrate you. Same thing with guitars which has been my main instrument for 34 years. Cheap, badly made or old and battered guitars are hard to tune and don't stay in tune for long, and the action is often horrible. All that makes it unpleasant and frustrating to play, and for someone trying to learn, that can be the difference between them enjoying it and continuing or not enjoying it and giving up. You also wont play with as much passion and feel on a bad instrument, and that will be noticeable in your sound. Price is largely irrelevant. I just want a low cost instrument that plays ok as opposed to one that's a pig to play.

In actual fact before I learnt to play trumpet as a kid, I started out playing my dad's garden watering can - that was a pretty bad instrument! That convinced my dad to get me trumpet lessons, but the teacher insisted I leant to play cornet first before they would let me loose on a trumpet. Then when I was ready to move up, my dad bought me an old trumpet. That trumpet always suffered from a sticky valve. I cleaned and lubricated it regularly. It would be fine for a while then start sticking again. The teachers couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. It's probably that valve issue that made me give up in the first place. So I think having a good instrument as opposed to a bad one makes all the difference and enables you to be a better instrument yourself. After all you can only be as good a instrument as the instrument you play :-)