Want to learn the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stabby, May 30, 2009.

1. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    In which case I'm guessing that you are one of those people that are ignorant of classical music because when they think of classical they think "Oh god, Opera,", in which case DON'T WORRY, it's rather hard to make your trumpet sing, and anyway, the classical music that you will be playing will just be modern music that people say is like classical.

And saying that a year is a long time to get to grade 2 is rather ignorant, it will take someone a few weeks to even make a sound that can be called a note, let alone make music, so, get a teacher and try it out before you start saying that you 2 grades a year is a long time.

2. Stabby

Stabby New Friend

May 30, 2009
    You're right, so I will learn the trumpet :D

Assume it takes 5 years to play well. If I don't learn to play the trumpet it will be something I regret in 5 years.

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well when your just starting out even playing "twinkle twinkle little star" is exciting. Thinking that it could take a couple weeks to get that far may sound pretty boring, but once you get started you might be amazed with even the smallest improvements. I remember when I started in the fifth grade I thought it sounded like I was playing really well, even though half the time it sounded like farts comng out of the bell, I thought I was doing really good. Once you get started you may realize how much time it will take to get up to playing difficult music but if you really want to get to that level and enjoy playing, it won't matter anymore. You'll end up addicted to it and it will all go by so fast it won't feel like you've been playing for 5 years. So even though you might find the classical music boring once you start playing it and then progress into harder pieces and arrangements, you will most likely find the progress and the journey to be funner than it sounds.

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Oh, and also, if you want to play jazz and fun music DON'T DO GRADES, in my experience they mess up your playing and you learn next to nothing, 2 years playing Ossoul (?), Aria, and a study taught me nothing, 2 weeks playing stuff that challenge me got me further then the past 2 years.

I completely agree with you, erd402, a lot of teachers say the most important thing is practice, I disagree, the most important things are having fun, and motivation, sure you can practice 5 hours a day, but you won't do it with happiness, and you'll stop after a few weeks. My advice is when your resolve is a bit shaky, go and listen to a top band, that'll soon get you back on track!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh how true - why waste your life being miserable when happiness is the alternative? :play:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    stabby,
    all of the guesstimates about how long it takes are just that. You can be playing jazz in your first year. You just have to want it that bad.
    The end product is dependent on thousands of factors. If you seriously practice 15-30 minutes a day, you can accomplish more than most players that claim hours!
    You do not need "classical" to get started, but most of the lesson books don't start with swing or blues scales.

Post the general area that you live in. Maybe there is a qualified TMer near you.

7. Stabby

Stabby New Friend

May 30, 2009
    I'm not sure if I understand that. I can accomplish more than players who practice several hours a day?

I live in Belgium.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stabby,
    many players count face time as practicing. A 3 hour session may have only a real 20 minutes of the stuff that makes you better. Improving is dependent on focus.

9. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Many players count their practice time as when they first picked up their trumpet until they put it up. Even though they played for 20 minutes followed by a 20 minute rest then another 20 minutes of playing, many will say they practiced for an hour when they really only practiced for 40 minutes. So some claim to practice more than they really do and they don't spend their time "practicing" doing to much that actually helps their playing ability. Theres a person in my marching band who counts his practicing as using as much pressure as possible to produce barely understandable high C's. Spending as much time as him practicing but doing it in a more productive will give you much more wanted results than he is recieving.

10. Stabby

Stabby New Friend

May 30, 2009
    Well then, I'm glad that 20 minutes a day is enough since I'm always busy (I also play the piano, some synths, and my studies off course).

I'm getting a private teacher. How often should I see him and how long should each session be?