Want to learn trumpet, help please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jlynnstites, Apr 8, 2007.

1. jlynnstites

jlynnstites New Friend

Apr 8, 2007
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Hello Everyone,

I'm 23 years old. When I was 17 I took a semester of begging band and learned the clairinet. Never really liked it. The second semester I took trumpet. I really liked it. However 3 weeks in I moved to a new school. That school didn't have a program.

I'm wondering what is the best begginers instrument/book/dvd .

And if anyone is in Orange County can you recomend a good shop?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    JLS
    There is no time more critical than the beginning. All of the habits you build now will bless or curse you for the rest of your life. Please get a teacher - at least for the first 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any TMer near Fountain Valley, Ca.?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Going to agree here -- a teacher is extremely important -- even more so than TM! Good luck!

4. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I will third the motion of getting a good teacher. To answer your question about books, there is a series called Essential Elements 2000 that comes with a DVD, many begining band programs use it. Combined with a teacher you can learn alot. But again dont use the book only, getting a good teacher is a great investment.
    JR

5. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    Hate to sound redundant but getting a teacher is the best thing you can do right now. We can offer advice on a lot of things but only a teacher can help you decide what needs to be done and help form a solid foundation from which to grow. Good luck and keep playin. :)

6. Zenith

Zenith New Friend

Dec 26, 2005
    Not only a teacher but a GOOD one also. Ask more trumpeters around you and find that out. Good luck and welcome back~ ^^

7. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA

Try Anaheim Band Instruments
    http://www.abimusic.com/

They have new and used instruments, music, give lessons, and are very friendly and helpful.

8. jlynnstites

jlynnstites New Friend

Apr 8, 2007
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    I guess I need a teacher then. Lol. I wonder if I can track down my old band teacher. He was awesome! He doesnt work at the highschool anymore though. Geeze I wish I could remember his name right now grrr.

And whats a TM?

I'll check out that anaheim place. There is a place in fountain valley off of Warner between magnolia and newland on the south side of the street. Can't remember the name. It's by the 405 entrance, boomers, and the bike shops. Do you know it? Is it any good? They have classes there.

And how often should I see a teacher?

9. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I would say meet with a teacher at least once a week for 30min or an hour if you can afford it. The more time you spend with your teacher the more you learn :D

Also- TM means Trumpet Master.com We just use TM because we're too lazy to type the name out.

I.E. - TMer=Someone on this site.

10. asc1969

asc1969 New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    jlynnstites,

I'm in the same boat as you are. The big difference is that I'm 38 and you're only 23. I made the decision to learn to play this instrument a little late in life. Had I started at your age I'd have 15 years under my belt. And who knows, maybe a record deal by now....hahaha... I can tell you this, I truly believe that find a good teacher, as many of the others have suggested, is imperative. I also bought the Essential Elements 2000 Bb trumpet book (w/DVD) about a month prior to my first private lesson. The book and accompanying CD/DVD are aimed at youth, however it still is a great beginning tool even for an adult as it teaches you the basics. I'm also using the book with my private instructor. My wife bought me two 1/2 hour lessons to begin with, with a local instructor (I'm actually his first student. He's in his late 50's and has been playing for only a little over 7 years. He's a pastor at a local church, a sixth degree Tai Kwon Do black belt instructor as well as an ex-L.A. County Sheriff Deputy who loves jazz, loves the trumpet and plays in his church band. Go figure.) I'm planning purchasing several more lessons with him (At least a few months or so). Keep us posted on your teacher hunting efforts and your progress.