Want to try something?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I've been doing some different stuff as it's summer and I like to think about teaching techniques and new ways of approaching the horn at this time of the year.

Go grab your Arban's. Yeah, fine, I'll wait...

Okay, open up to the interval exercise on page 125. See the first one in C major? If you have any low register issues especially with this one. I want you to pull out your 3rd slide as though you were going to play the low excerpt from Carmen. Yes, you have to use your Bb.

Play an F major scale with the new fingerings required by pulling out the slide. G is now 2/3 and so will D also be 2/3. Of course, F is 1/2/3.

Once you have the hang of that, do the exercise starting on the low F in the key of Bb major. Next, go up a half step with the slides pulled in to a normal position. Next, read the first line as is. You've added two more lines to this and also made the C major exercise the third lowest one rather than the lowest one on the page. By the way, the low notes should be forte and the upper notes mezzo piano at the loudest.

Would you do me a favor and practice this every day for the next week and tell me how your playing is affected? But if you start it, please go through to the entire week, spending no more than 10min a day.

At the end of the week, pull out Carmen and tell me how it goes.

Have fun,

ML

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Manny,
    I'm confused... you mean like lip bend the excersises usin' false fingerings? (still pullin' slides)

Tim

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    To me, that kind of sounds like an excersize that could be used to help fine tune your ear and really help with intonation. Because the 3rd slide is out so far and your useing awkward alternate fingerings I would think the tuneing would be dreadfull! But then, if you can find the center of the pitch like that, finding the center playing normaly would be alot easier.

Or I'm compleatly wrong and it's an excersize to help with transposition or something compleatly differant. I don't know... I guess what I'm askeing is, what is this supposed to help us with? I'll be glad to play "lab rat" for you and do this, but what differant aspects of playing should I be paying the most attention to while I do this?

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Wax on, wax off... wax on, wax off..

ML

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny Laureano wrote:

Fabulous answer!!

-cw-

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Manny - a request - please don't come up with more of these little games/exercises - I am still recovering from last year's assignments :shock:

To be honest, this sounds very similar to some exercises I already do, both to certify the low F and get accustomed to playing on less ordinary fingering (comes in very handy when playing certain passages)

7. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    PEOPLE!!!! JUST DO IT!

WAX ON...WAX OFF....

Okay, fine! Am I going to have to be the guinnea pig here? I'll start it after I'm done with concerts for the summer next week. It sounds very intriguing (and since everything else ML has suggested to me has worked so well ... why not???).

I'm GUESSING it will help me to focus the sound and open up the throat/breathing mechanism a bit, as well as improve intonation (a chronic problem of mine, especially in lower registers). We'll see.

Check back in a few weeks....any other takers?

8. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Sounds like fun. I'm going on tour on saturday, so no trumpet for nine days, but after that I'll give it a go.

One problem, I don't have a copy of Carmen, does anyone have a PDF they could email to me?

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I'm in. Should help my response down there, I would think. Like Clarino, I don't have a copy of the excerpt. Guess I better head out and get one!

Manny-the new avatar was quite a surprise...I've come to associate you and that John Wayne photo!

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, all...

Just wanted to let you know that no one's a guinea pig. I know precisely what this does and why. I'm just curious to get reactions to your individual experiences.

Again:

3rd slide out until it gives you another half step

Play in F major by fingering G 2/3 and D 2/3

Play page 125 in the Arban book starting on your brand new low F

Put your 3rd slide in it's normal position

Continue the exercise starting on F# , then G, then Ab... etc.

Make sure it's all in tune.

Any questions? No? Good.

ML