Want to try something?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jul 3, 2005.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

2. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Wow! I have no idea what the carmen excerpt is like as I haven't done any classical playing for 12 years or so but this excercise is awesome! It opens up a whole new can of worms for improvising in F! I can't get the pdf to work though (I suspect it's something to do with my computer not the file itself). Thanks Mr Laureano. By the way what is that on your new avatar? It looks like some kind of military flag or something.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It was the flag of the Royal Marines. It's down now and the Duke will be returning presently.

ML

4. Tom_MacNiven

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Ah, I see now after reading the posts on what happened in London last week. Your solidarity is greatly appreciated.
    Now, I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding this or not. You haven't mentioned anything about the low B, which needs to be lipped down to B flat as I can't see any other way of getting this particular note with other fingerings, or is there one that I'm not realising? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tom,

My solidarity will rest always with good people and the good people of the UK, amongst other countries, will always be in my heart.

As to the exercise, I must be doing a poor job of explaining myself, so, I'll try again. What it boils down to is transposing the first line of p.125 down a whole step, then only a half step, and then playing it as printed. Continuing on as printed would be even better rather than stopping with only those three.

If the one that is printed and starts on G but actually in C major, then playing it down a half step would mean it starts on F# and puts it in B major. If you continue downward another half step it would start on low F and the key would be Bb major. That Bb major is the starting point in this exercise. Next is B major and then the printed C major.

There is absolutely no lipping down necessary in this particular exercise. The point of it all is to put your horn into a range where the notes are honest ones and not false, pedal style notes.

There is a version of this study that I teach that uses pedal tones.

But that's another story for a different day.

ML

6. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    Manny must be psychic! His exercise is just what the doctor ordered this week for me. We are doing a tribute to a fellow trumpeter who recently passed away and are playing James Olcott's arrangement of "Here's That Rainy Day" for 8 trumpets. Part #7 has instructions to use "the Carmen fingerings" as it has several low F's in it!
    My lack of classical instruction is showing here-that was the first I had heard of the "Carmen" thing, and I've been playing for 40 years!
    Thanks for "thinking" of me Manny.
    Greg

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Greg,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like a beautiful way to send your late colleague off. I'm glad an impromptu idea could make it easier.

ML

8. Tom_MacNiven

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Right, so what fingering do you use for B flat then, if you use 1st valve you get A (because the slide is right out as far as it can go), if you use 2nd valve (in keeping with the fingering for the excersise) you get B therefore having to lip down to B flat. Sorry again for being slow with this.

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tom,

In the earlier posts I made I specified the 3rd slide to be moved out. The 1st slide stays put, mostly. Check out page 6 of the Arban book under "Second Table". It's all right there and probably better than I'm explaining it.

ML

10. Tom_MacNiven

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    OCH, I see now that I have completely and utterly misunderstood this excercise and must apologise for wasting your time with this. :oops: I was putting 1st & 3rd slides out fully then playing F major scale with the fingering for F sharp major! B flat is the only note that wouldn't work without lipping. Suddenly everything became clear! Sorry.