Want to try something?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tell you what, Tom...

I'll be in Edinburgh next August, '06. You can buy me a wee bit 'o somethin' lively then, if you feel that bad about it.

Until then,

ML

2. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    OCH, I see now that I have completely and utterly misunderstood this excercise and must apologise for wasting your time with this. :oops: I was putting 1st & 3rd slides out fully then playing F major scale with the fingering for F sharp major! B flat is the only note that wouldn't work without lipping. Suddenly everything became clear! Sorry.

3. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tom,

Apparently you started the party without me.

ML

4. Tom_MacNiven

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Wow!!!! It would be a distinct honour to meet you yes yes of course a wee dram would be well in order! I don't know why my post went in twice though.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    He lives in Glasgow - he would have started the party many years ago - the water of life is given out long before a mouthpiece would have been :D

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tom,

I checked a map and it's about 50 miles! If you actually showed up it would be my pleasure to buy after a trip like that for a concert. When I was last in the Glasgow with the band, I scored a bottle of Glenmorangie at the airport. It's delicious and sets well with a fine warmth.

My limited times in Scotland were most enjoyable and I look forward to our visit next year.

ML

7. Tom_MacNiven

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Ah perhaps that is what prevented me from reading the posts properly! In fact I was given my first mouthpiece aged 8. I didn't start drinking till at least 10 or 11! :lol: Of course Mr Laureano I actually do most of my gigs in Edinburgh I'm there every other day or so. The festival will be on when you are there, we should definately hook up for a chat if you have time.

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So...

How's it going, those of you that elected to try this?

ML

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Hi Manny Carmen is getting pretty easy and for various semi lame excuses I 've only done it 5or 6 x in the 3 weeks. 3 of those times were on the peashooter mouthpiece.

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ok... I know this is an old topic...but I wanted to let you know, Manny, that I tried the Carmen today, on the second day of trying the excercise.

Right off the bat, I noticed greater response and fullness of tone on the low notes...particularly the played Gb in the 6th measure. This is a big deal for me, as anything below A usually sounds like a duck having a tantrum.

My main difficulty is getting the played low F to sound in tune, rather than as a flat Gb. I assume that will come as I get used to the slide positioning and playing that most uncommon pitch.[/i]