Want to try something?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Glenn and anyone else having trouble with this exercise,

I’m not sure what Bb horn you play, but if it’s a Bach Stad (Model 37) you may benefit from a simple modification. Here is a TPIN post I that wrote several years ago that might give you some additional “equipment†insights.

After I wrote this post, I received a response from an instrument repair guy in the Valley and he told me to bring my horn in so that he could have a look at it.

When I arrived at the shop, he took my horn, turned it over and took out a very small screwdriver from under the counter. There was a set screw on the post that was holding the threaded rod on my horn (I had not noticed this screw in the 20 plus years that I’ve owned the horn!) and once he had loosed the screw he simply slid out the rod.

Since I had the measurements from my instructor’s horn and had talked with the instrument repair guy prior to coming into the shop, he had a new third valve slide threaded rod waiting for me that was 2 and 5/8 inches long. He then made some low profile nuts (he turned them down on a lathe), and the fit is just perfect.

I would suggest that anyone knowledgeable in horn repairs could help you with this "retrofit". I continue to be amazed every time I play this excerpt at how great that low F sounds!

If the slides can’t be thrown out quite far enough on your horn, Manny’s exercise will never quite make sense (too much lipping involved). Playing the horn in the resonant center (given the proper slide length – after modification) without any lipping, the sound of the low F will be perfect!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the following tip :cool:

The low Eb in Carmen Prelude is doubled by a number of instruments. If the principal trumpet player made a beautiful diminuendo and ghosted that Eb no one would notice the missing note.

Warning:- Should only be done AFTER you have the gig......not at ANY audition!!!!

My lips are sealed as to the originator of this stealth attack, his initials are Sam Krauss.........you didn't hear that here.

Wilmer

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I am speaking concert pitch......
    Wilmer

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes!!!

Beautiful pic, oh wize one!

Seriously classy, amigo.

ML

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Wilmer- my lips are sealed (or at least occupied, anyway!)...:thumbsup: :whistle:

Derek- I play on a Lawler...my first slide extended gets me there, along with the 3rd slide. I just have to get used to coordinating them and moving them quickly enough. The greater triumph for me is the electricity and immediacy of response that is now present in my sound down there as a result of the excersise. I may never need to play that excerpt (unless I do it on an audition...I DO plan on taking others), but I WILL need that. 2 days and the payoff is coming in...can't wait for five days later!

6. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Glenn,

That’s great! Glad to hear that your vibrancy has been enhanced by using this exercise. I just didn’t want you to get frustrated by trying to get that sound on a horn that was physically too short (as mine was). This is a classic example of addressing sound quality to achieve the desired result instead of just trying to play “louderâ€.

Good for you!

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    For the record, I love using "electricity" to describe the vibrancy that must become inherent to the sound of the lower register.

ML