Wanted: A smaller bore Jazz trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlhend2002, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mlhend2002

mlhend2002 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Salisbury, NC
    I'll be honest, the lips aren't what they use to be..LOL. I have played trumpet for about 40 years now. I have played in musicals, concert , orchastras, Weddings, competition, etc. and love every moment of it. I have owned a Benge, Holton Al Hirt Special, King silver Flair and a 1955 Holton Super collegiate trumpet. I got the 1968 Al Hirt at a garage sale for $20 when i was in Junior High. I wish I had that trumpet back and would have taken care of it.
    Anyways, The Holton Super Collegiate is my son's trumpet and he is off to college with it. Too bad, because I love it with the shorter jazz valves, flexability and especially the higher range than my King Silver Flair. It fit perfectly in with jazz band and higher note playing. The King with it's .462 bore sounds great in concert setting with a big bold sound and so so upper register.
    I thought of getting another Holton Super Collegiate trumpet, but also thought of other trumpets. I would like the characteristics of the Holton with fast valves, high register, solid quality and a moderate price tag.

I have thought of a King super 20 silver -sonic or liberty (.448 bore), olds super star ultra sonic or a smaller bore studio/recording trumpet. I am limited in my knowledge of Jazz/higher register trumpets.

Thanks so much for all I have gathered from this site already and I look forward for an additional comments from members.

Sincerely,
    Mark

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    New horns:
    Yamaha's 8310Z is a smaller bore, step bore horn.
    Schilke has a number of horns: B4, B6, B7, S42 with .450 bore.
    Lawler C7 MS.
    Kanstul Mariachi series ("connstellation inspired")

Older Conn Connstellations (called peashooters for their small bore)

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Consider a Schilke B6.

It is a step bore that starts at .448 or so and expands to a ML bore.

It is a VERY versatile trumpet and also features a copper bell.

I played a B6 for a long time and it is one of the finest trumpets you can have.

-cw-

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a bunch of smaller bore horns for sale in the classifieds... two of them (the Buescher and the Holton Revelation) were also clips on the recent thread of audio clips I put up. A LOT of people loved the Revelation. I have two and really do need to sell one of them.

send me a note and I'll go through what I have currently.

5. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    I just went through the shopping process for a new horn last year, and after trying seemingly endless horns, I realized I don't really like the feel of a large bore horn. I do have a decent range for an amateur (powerful G over high C, then thin up to double C) and have a nice edge to my sound, it felt like I couldn't "fill up" a large bore horn. I ended up with a Schilke S42L -- small bore compared to The Schilke B series, and I love it. Worth a look.

--Shane

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    My Son's new to him 1946 Holton Colligate sounds a lot like what youa re looking for. It is pea shooter style. It has the smallest bore I have ever seen I will have to measure it. I got it for $26 off ebay all beat up. I say a Conn Constelation on their as well that was still in the $150 range. Their was an Olds Ultra Sonic and and another Olds small bore ontheir as well. You might have a look on ebay!

If you want a player that is good to go I would seriously consider the ones TrentAustin has for sale.On a very positive note he has recorded track's with all of them so you could ask him to hear a track of each before you bought to get an idea of the sound of each one! That is about as close you can get to playing before you buy. Plus since he is a proffesional and used them for performances you know that it is going to arrive at your door steep oiled and ready to play! my 1946 Holton Colligate off Ebay took 2 hours of scrubing and 3 hour's of polishing and it has a broken water key I had to tape shut to play it! I had to polish it by hand because it is so long it would not fit in my sink to do the bakeing soda, aluminum foil and boiling water trick topolish the silver if it was not a pea shoot it would have fit.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
  8. mlhend2002

mlhend2002 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Salisbury, NC
    1932 Conn 30B trumpet .429 bore Pan Am looks like a nice trumpet, but .429 bore. I currently play an older King Silver Flair with a .462 bore and a Holton Super Collegiate with a .459 bore. I do want a smaller bore for higher notes, but at what point do you not gain the ability to player higher notes and end up with just a thin sound. I have been looking at trumpets with .455 bore. According to the seller this is a pro level trumpet and price can't be beat, I guess.

9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I wish I had an answere for you I just try to keep my eye out for anything that looks like it would be of intereest to someone. I knew you where looking for small bore. I also keeping an eye out for 1955 Holton Colligae No.1 valve for another guy and so on.

I would love to know where the cut off point is too between small bore and way to small bore. Like anything I am guessing their are a number of variables and exceptions to every rule but you would think their is a rule of thumb of some sort???

Other changeing the volume of air required to genenerate a substanial air colum with in the bore by what other means does bore size affect the sound? I mean what theory or rule is their that explains this? While this Conn in question is drasticly smaller then anything else I have run across more tend to stay inthe .445-.460 which is really not a large difference at all in fact I would think it was not significant in any way in that small of a range.Especialy when you look at how fast the taper is towards the open end. Now that same difference though on say leadpipe diamter would be huge but the sacle is smaller as is the part in question. So it really makes me wound if it is the difference in leadpipe on these trumpet's that make most of the difference in blow-ability and not the bore diamter. I am just thinking out loud though not talking fact here.

10. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I'd really reccomend that you play a lot of different horns. The Conn 22B is a great, great horn.
    I switch around between a large bore C, a few ML-ish Bbs, and a few others. They all play differently, and I use them in different settings. You can use any of them in all settings, I believe.
    Try to play a lot of horns, and I hope you enjoy playing them all!
    (I have a Callet Super Large Bore for sale, but not exactly what you're looking for...:cool:)

Cheers