Wanted: Pictures Naked Yamaha

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Sandovalic, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Sandovalic

Sandovalic New Friend

Jan 20, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hi,

I play a Yahama 6335 (double braces) with a goldish laquer finish and silvercoloured details. The finish layer is comming of at several places and I'm not happy about it. The instrument is about 10 years old (I bought it 3 months ago)
    I was wondering how the instrument would sound like and how it will look if I have all the finishing removed (perhaps a picture?). Cause that's my plan at the moment.
    Does anyone have a clue on how it will affect the horn?

From a sunny corner of Holland

Olaf

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

That particular horn was made that way because that's the best way that horn would play.

Changing it WILL change how it plays! HOW it changes the horn's performance is a big question that can only be answered by trying it.

Keep in mind though . . . if the way you propose would make it better . . . wouldn't Yamaha have made it that way originally?

ANOTHER COMMENT . . .

When someone strips a horn, and especially if they buff and refinish the horn . . . expect the THINNER brass of the buffed horn to make it a lot brighter.

IT IS YOUR HORN THOUGH . . . SO HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

If you decide to experiment, don't worry! It is your horn and . . . the worst thing that can happen is that it won't play or sound as good. Luckily, trumpets aren't that expensive (relative to other types of horns), so if the modifications ruin it . . . you can always get another horn.

AN ALTERNATIVE SUGGESTION . . .

Instead of putting money into a horn that you obviously are not totally happy with, why not just start looking for a great new horn? Take your time . . . play a LOT of horns . . . and don't spend ANY money until you find your ultimate trumpet!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

3. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I have a 6335HII that I bought about 6years ago. One of the first things I did was to remove the laquer.(very hard laquer to take off according to my tech!) The trumpet plays much freer (at least thats my and other peoples perception), and as for the sound-it will sound like you sound after a few days anyway!

I'd say go for it! Laquer is not like silver or gold plate that resonates with the metal underneath it, it just dampens vibrations. (IMHO of course!)

All the best!

4. Sandovalic

Sandovalic New Friend

Jan 20, 2006
    Netherlands
    All instruments made by Yamaha and by most other company's are made with diffrent finishing so that customers have something to choose from. That won't make one finish better than the other. My horn in particular has a bad finishlayer that's beginning to chip off.
    I don't know about yamaha but there are trumpetmanufactures that make horns without any form of finishing. Mostly the are custum made horns (for instance Hub van Laar (here in Holland)).

Why not looking for a new horn? Getting the finish layer off costs about 35 USD. The price of a new one...........
    If it comes out wrong I can always redo the finishing and end up with a great horn afterall :-).

Olaf

5. trumpetera

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I took some pics of my horn, but...

I dont know how to get them onto a message! :cry:
    I'm a complete computer illiterate! :-P

6. Sandovalic

Sandovalic New Friend

Jan 20, 2006
    Netherlands
    Send it in an e-mail. It's easier then posting them here. Make a new message click on Attachment and add the pictures you want to add. I've send you a persenal message. Thanks for taking the trouble in sending me a picture. I appriciate it..... :cool:

My e-mail: [email protected]

Olaf

7. trumpetera

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    So, have you "de-laquerd" your Yamaha yet?

Jus curious what you think! :-)

8. Sandovalic

Sandovalic New Friend

Jan 20, 2006
    Netherlands
    I like the way it looks. I'm wondering what it would sound like. The next time I'll visit the store all the laquer goes off! :cool:

Olaf