wanted, Recommended Sydney Australia repairer!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kulgara, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Kulgara

Kulgara New Friend

Jul 8, 2012
    Hi,I have a Conn Constellation that I am having big problems with the valves sticking. I had it serviced and they say they polished the valves, but it still sticks on number 2 and 3, no matter how much I clean and re-oil.

I was wondering if it was worth getting fixed, and if any one knew of a good repairer ( hopefully in South Sydney, Australia )

I am playing 3rd in a small town band, but would like put in the work to be able to backup our number 2, if they can't make it for any reason, but the stuck valves are really ruining my enjoyment for playing.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Kulgara

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    When they polished them, does that mean they lapped them? An Olds Ambassador I once owned had a valve that was sluggish no matter how clean or what oil I used...until it was lapped - then it was just fine.

3. Kulgara

Kulgara New Friend

Jul 8, 2012
    Hi Mgcoleman,

I don't know, ( what do they do when they lap valves ? ) my guess is no, as they did not remove or replace a broken ring of cork in valve 3, mind you these valves have a shroud around the tops of them, making it hard to see. Valve 2 also feels like it's spring is under strength compared to the other 2. I am new back to playing after 30 years, and after reading reviews about the connstellation, was wondering if it was time for a new trumpet. This one was bought new in Singapore, back in about 1978.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Lapping a valve, first and foremost, is something hopefully only experienced people or someone being supervised by a well-experienced person should attempt. It involves using a gritty compound to seat a valve (specific valve, specific cylinder, specific orientation). There are hazards to it, such as using too coarse of a grit, lapping it too much, not having the right valve in the right cylinder, valve not aligned properly (specific to orientation as determined normally by the valve guide), not thoroughly cleaning everything out when done, etc. In so much that it doesn't take much at all to make a valve stick or be slow, it doesn't take much hand-lapping to make a valve work like a champ.

5. Kulgara

Kulgara New Friend

Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks again, that sounds like it might do the trick !

Does any one have any suggestions of recommended trumpet service people in Sydney that can " Lap " valves " ?

6. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I don't know if he laps valves, but my tutor is supposedly 'the guy' around here when it comes to repairing/servicing instruments, particularly brass. He lives in the blue mountains. PM me if you want details.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Lapping the valves should be only done as a last resort, it is best to find out what is wrong before fixing it.

I do not know the Sydney repairers, I shall make some inquiries. I suggest you wipe the valves with a lint free cloth moisened with Shellite or lacquer thinners until there is no more dirt coming off them, also do the same to the casings, reoil the valves. If using thinners do not get it on the finish if horn is lacquered.

If the horn has taken a knock the casings may be distorted causing the sticking, this is a simple repair for a good repairer.

Regards, Stuart.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Try Brian North

9. Kulgara

Kulgara New Friend

Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks guys, Since 2 people have already had a go at this, I will go with stumac's tip to hand it over to an expert, but thanks for the tip about the shellite.

I received a pm with a ( hopefully ) good recommendation for a repairer not too far from me, and will give him a ring tomorrow. ( as today is a holiday ) If he is too busy, I will get back to chasing up some of your other ( but further afield ) recommendations.