Wanted to share this article.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugleboy21, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    For those of you wondering what life in the army band can be like:

---------------------------------------------------------

Army bugler/trumpeter soloist at concert tonight

By Olga Peña

Killeen Daily Herald

There is a difference between a bugler and a trumpeter — Sgt. Larry Dean is both.

The featured soloist at tonight’s Heights Band concert, Dean joined the 1st Cavalry Division Band in August of 2004, leaving for Iraq a month later. He returned in January of this year.

Dean recalls having played Taps — the military bugle call sounded at funerals, wreath-layings and memorial services — more times than he can number.

“We did it way more times than we should have, but that’s war,†Dean said casting his eyes down. “It was hard to feel that emotion and project it but having to keep it at bay.â€

Military musicians, Dean explained, have a rare opportunity to perfect their craft, entertain troops, honor fallen comrades and defend their country.

Band members attend a six-month music school in addition to the regular basic training all soldiers undergo.

“You always have your weapons and armor,†Dean said. “We are combatants just like anyone else.â€

When they are stateside, Dean explained, trumpet players perform dual roles as buglers and trumpeters. With the troops, buglers perform calls at ceremonies to include Taps. As trumpeters, the musicians march, entertain and perform in concerts.

While Dean’s love for his military musical career is great, he also enjoys playing outside of the Army world.

Dean, who was born in Killeen, followed in his brother’s footsteps and picked up a trumpet before the age of 10. He has not put it down since.

“It’s a very versatile instrument,†Dean said, listing the various musical styles he enjoys performing.

After studying music at Southwest Texas State University, Dean played nights and weekends in clubs, weddings and “odd things that musicians do,†he said.

Having witnessed his father’s successful and enjoyable military career, Dean then decided to join the Army in 2003. Dean participates in three of 1st Cavalry Band’s ensembles: brass quartet, jazz combo and Grupo K-lore — a salsa ensemble.

Dean has been performing with the Heights Band since junior high school. He said the band offers musicians an opportunity to perform with professionals, educators and talented students.

“It’s musically fulfilling and just a lot of fun,†Dean said . “I always seem to pick something up.â€

This will be Dean’s second time performing a solo with the accomplished band, having had his debut two weeks ago in San Saba. A 1994 graduate of Copperas Cove High School, Dean said tonight’s performance is like coming home.

“I usually get nervous but since I came back from Iraq, it’s a feeling of anxiousness going back to my hometown,†Dean said.

Appropriately, Dean’s solo is titled “The Bugler.â€

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for all those who expressed the kindest words to me when I came home from Iraq.

2. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

congrats! how did the performance go? I have never heard of The Bugler. Who is the composer?

3. Bugleboy21

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    The performance went well! I had a great time. The Bugler is by Edwin Franko Goldman (arr. by Erik Leidzen). It is published by Mills Music, Inc. It's a cute solo fillled with standard military bugle calls with band accompaniment in the first half and lots of fast (TK'd) arpeggios in the second half. Whenever I get a CD of the concert, I'll post a couple sound bytes up.

4. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    Thanks for sharing that article and many Thanks for your service, it is Greatly appreciated! Be Well!!!

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Bugleboy - thank you for being a trumpeter and a soldier. I am happy you are back on U.S. soil. Also, thanks for sharing your musical experience with us. Take good care.

6. Bugleboy21

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    Ok...so it's been almost 4 years, but I got a clip of it on YouTube! However, this is from a repeat performance last summer in Waco, TX with the Heights Concert Band. I'm honored that they invited me back to perform not just the solo, but sit in the section as well for the whole concert.

YouTube - Larry Dean, Trumpet - Goldman: The Bugler & Somewhere a Voice is Calling

You can also find me in Facebook and MySpace, where there's lots more audio files of practice/recording sessions. Cya!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Wouderful playing. I enjoyed this very much.

8. TrumpetPower

TrumpetPower New Friend

Jan 23, 2009
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Bugleboy,

You just might be one of the many people whom I decide to burden with questions, though in all honesty I think my instructor is equally qualified. I'm going to be auditioning for Army Band eventually, my lessons instructor Roy Muth (Navy) will let me know exactly when I should go about doing this.

I would be prior service, I did 4 years of 11b (Infantry) and an injury that left 5 of my brothers dead forced me to reevaluate my plan. I came home, fortunately which is the site of the SOM (School of Music), and have been mentally rehabilitating myself. Now I'm left with a dried up G.I Bill and a foggy future, until I picked up my horn again. Now all of a sudden it's like a steam train. I love playing now more than I ever did in high school, and not to 'toot my own horn' (but that's what we do, right?), but I was a pretty decent high school player.

I can't sit through Taps without tears, and I can only imagine how hard it might be for me to play it at first. But I can't imagine a better way to honor a fallen soldier. I was in the hospital when my brothers had a memorial, and was unable to hear their taps or 21 gun salute. So I am taking that and using it as my motivation.

I think I've typed too much as now I can't even seem to get back on track of the purpose of this response. I guess just be prepared for a few private messages from me, when I have Army Band questions that might need answering.

Thanks for doing what you do, and one day (hopefully soon) I'll be able to play along side of you (figuratively) and honor the rest of our fallen troops.

-- oh and one more thing --- the infantry in me wants you to know your no combatant!! (just kidding, keep on doing what you do)

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Thank you, Bugleboy. That was really great!
    veery