Wanting to start my own website.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Haha... doesn't sound trumpet related, but it is. I want to start my own site with Bio's and sound clips and everything. Hopefully even cut my own cd in the Future.

What are some good sites to start out free on? and then upgrade later when I get bigger.

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    bandzoogle have a 30 day free trial. It is easy to design a web page, even if you just do it for experience.

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Having a blog format can make it really easy to have a nicely pulled-together site, and can make it really easy to add sound and video clips. WordPress.com is a great place to start. I don't know how much space you are allowed for your sound clips etc, but you'd want to check. I believe you can get an account for free. You can also get free accounts on Blogger and some others, but I don't think they will allow you to store any files.

If you need to store more files than a free account will let you, you can pay a monthly fee to a hosting company (I think AnHosting is offering $6.95/mo) which will get you a domain, a blog, and lots of space for storing sound and video files.

The reason why I always recommend a blog is that you don't need to know anything about web design. Writing a blog 'post' is just the same as writing a forum post here. There is a button you click if you want to add a sound clip, and just point at the file on your computer. It's really easy to use.

4. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Use Myspace.

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I'm not sure MySpace is the best way to go. For one, it is, at its core, a social networking site. Depending on who you are trying to reach, MySpace may be a little offputting. It's an easy way to set something up, but I think there's a certain stigma attached to it. I'm 24 and never caught the MySpace bug. While there are a lot of folks out there who use it and are comfortable with it, I think there is a silent majority of people like me who would rather go to a traditional website than deal with MySpace. I could be wrong, though.

-Jimi

6. biohazard

biohazard New Friend

May 20, 2007
  7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

Awesome... If it truly is free... I'm all over it haha. Thanks alot everyone. I'll let you all know when its up and running. I'm gonna get started on it tonight.

8. biohazard

biohazard New Friend

May 20, 2007
    Oh beleive me i have been with them for a couple of years. They are even better than some paid hosting sites.

9. westhorn

westhorn New Friend

Oct 25, 2007
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    The trouble that you can get with free hosting and web design packages is that they can be very difficult to update. I looked at a friend's site and it turned out that everything had been rendered as images, text and all. There will probably be a way to inject raw html, so it might be worth getting to know the basics of html, although obviously that is time that otherwise could be used for practice.

Good luck with the project, how is it going and is it ready to be viewed?

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

MySpace Music is a good free intro to running your own music website. You can also use mp3unsigned.com. They have a nice free service.

The problem with the free services like this is that you have pop up ads and banner ads on your page and it is easy for folks to navigate away from your music even by mistake. You also have minimal control over the look of the site.

I would recommend netmusician.org as a very reasonably priced hosting service. The gentleman who runs netmusician.org is Joe Auty, a professional trumpeter from Indiana. Joe's a good guy and will help you get started.

My sig below has my web sites. I use MySpace to build a fan base and I use netmusician.org for my primary site.

I hope this helps add some grist for the mill!

Nick