Warburton FL (flugel) backbore?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by FlugelFlyer, Mar 2, 2005.

1. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Recently, I don't remember where, but I saw that Warburton made an FL threaded backbore for use with flugelhorns. Does anyone know anything about these backbores, their history, how I can obtain one, etc? Thanks for any responses!

2. joey

joey Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Bloomington
    Warburton FL backbore

Terry makes 3 different flugel pieces: the FL (#16 bore-deep funnel), FLM (#20 bore-medium funnel), and the FLX(#14 bore-extra deep funnel). He makes his flugel mouthpieces in one piece, as he matches the cup depth to the bore size.

More information is available from this page of his website:

www.warburton-usa.com/catalog-trumpet.htm

scroll down to the bottom for flugel pieces.

enjoy,

joey

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Yes, I know well of his three models for flugelhorn, but it was that specific backbore that caught my attention when I saw it. I'm trying to figure out if it's a myth or not. Basically, just a backbore with FL stamped on it.

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Call Terry Warburton on his toll free number. It's posted on his website.

Terry stocks and/or makes a ton of stuff that he doesn't list on his website, so it is possible that he's done this before and can do it again.

Sincererly,

Tom Turner

5. Yammie

Yammie New Friend

Feb 28, 2005
    Sunny FL
    Custom

Terry does make these, but I believe only on a custom basis. I'm looking at one right now - I've got medium and regular flugel tops with my rim taper and interchangeable standard (Yamaha, etc.) taper backbores and Couesnon (French) taper backbores. I have two separate FLX one piece mouthpieces, one per taper. (Either the FLX is too deep and open throated to be able to thread for a removeable backbore, or there was some other reason I've forgotten we went with two separate FLX mouthpieces.) I love the FLX profile for soloing, but the regular or medium cup is easier for section playing.

Terry normally uses different throat diameters based on the flugel mouthpiece profile (see below). In my case, we used the 16 throat for both the medium and regular cups so the backbores would be interchangeable.

From their site(http://www.warburton-usa.com):
    ================
    Warburton Flugelhorn Mouthpieces

There are Three Standard Models:

FL - Standard deep funnel shape with #16 bore size. This has been by far our most popular model over the years.

FLM - Medium funnel shape with a #20 bore size. This model has a lighter sound and is preferred by players who need to play in the upper register.

FLX - Extra deep funnel shape with a #14 bore size. This model is capable of producing a most beautiful classic Flugelhorn sound for orchestral and other large ensemble work.
    =================