Warburton for lead

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Trumpet1Ohio, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hi,

I recently started playing a Warburton 5SV/5* when playing lead in my big band. Wanted something with a sharper inner bite on thr rim than the Schilke I've been playing. Anyone else use this piece or something similar. Do you think it's a good choice? Also, does anyone have experiewnce with the smaller "3" Warburton bottom?

Thanks
    Ken

2. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    I LOVE the Warburton SYSTEM!

In my favorite sized Warburton tops I have virtually all size and shape cups for specific jobs.

I use different Warburton backbores to dial in the resistance for a specific trumpet/mouthpiece blow, as well as the specific sound needed for a job.

There's nothing NOT to like about a system so danged precise in what the changes allow one to accomplish!

Frankly, for lead I don't use my ES, S or SV tops . . . I LOVE the sound of the slightly larger "M" cup for a very rich lead sound. My ALWAYS backbore for lead jobs is the incredible new "Q" backbore they make. The "Q" backbore gives just the right extra tightness to interface properly for my specific trumpet, and the slots above the High G (over High C) are very specific using the Q. It truly makes it a little easier nailing the pitches with more accuracy.

Frankly, I also sometimes forget to remove the Q for non-lead gigs and rehearsals . . . for the sound down in the staff is rich enough on the Q for me to automatically compensate without thinking about it.

For legit jobs I usually reach for my #7 backbore . . . although besides the "Q" and #7, I also have 'em in #5, #6, #8 and #10 for trumpet.

I personally don't care for the KT (due to how it sounds on my set-up) but, then again, that's why they also have the new "Q." Some trumpets or trumpet players have a different "need," soundwise,in a lead backbore! Warburton gives us TWO choices, whereas most makers give none.

I also own one of the four prototype "Q" backbores (mine's the second . . . thus called the "Q2," but the final version is better . . . with Warburton finally even going with a slightly shorter backbore length than he's done on other backbores to really make the production "Q" so nice.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

4. TheMoose

TheMoose Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    Warburton's are great. Like Tom, I really like having the ability to build a mouthpiece that best fits the job I am going to play. I usually play an 8m with a 5 backbore but also have an 8sv, 8d, 8dd and a 6m. I don't get much use out of the deep #8 cups but just had to try them out. I also have a 7 backbore but don't use it that much either, the 5 just goes better with my old Yamaha.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I play the 3M cup on a Kanstul backbore, I think its B5B and the setup works great for me. I tried the smaller Warburton cups, but the 3M seems to give me the best airflow in all registers, including above the staff.

Oh, and I had the backbore shortened by about 3/32" for a better receiver gap.

6. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for your info.. Think I'm going to try to find one of the Q's. I'm pretty well sold on the Warburton system.