Warburton P.E.T.E.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Jul 14, 2009.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Hey, have you guys seen this yet? It's a new embouchure training tool from Warburton. Kinda seems to be along the lines of the pencil trick, what do you think?

P.E.T.E.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks interesting. Glad to see that they're thinking outside the box and trying to come up with new ways to work the chops while off the horn.

i would imagine that kids will overuse/abuse it, but that's what kids do.

At $40 for silver and $70 for gold i think I'll pass. Maybe an at-home project...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They forgot the grounding strap. The chops develop MUCH faster when they are earthed!

I am not sure that this is out of the box. It is a premium pencil.

I gave a lot of thought to isometrics on the face years ago and came up with the premise that we need to build fine motor skills with our embouchure muscles. That is what allows us to play with great nuance. If we build brute strength, it could in fact hinder our flexibility. Where we really need to invest is in the breathing apparatus. That reduces the amount of effort at face level we need to conjure up.

4. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Hey Rowuk,

So, in your opinion, do you think that the isometrics should be avoided completely? Or do you think they're ok as a supplement to a healthy practice routine? Kinda like doing heavy strength training in the weight room but being sure to stretch really well as to not lose flexibility.

Ryan

5. lunchbox

lunchbox New Friend

Jul 31, 2007
    Denton, TX
    There's a pretty big P.E.T.E. thread going on at Trumpetherald right now. A lot of guys are trying homemade ones.

I think any exercise done excessively is bad, but I think the concept is interesting. Obviously it's not a substitute for playing the horn, but I can see how it might help tone some of the muscles when one doesn't have the time to practice as much. I especially like the idea of the pulling away exercise (see Terry's video on the Warburton website). This looks like it would be good for keeping the lips from bottoming out on shallow mouthpieces. I've got my ugly and cheap version of the Pete (a decorative brass carriage bolt with a large flat head) and am going to test it for a week or two before I decide if it's worth it.

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I believe that training the lip muscles with a gadget is possible.
    As a matter of fact, I have made such a gadget that I use.
    It is NOT an isometric device and it doesn´t replace trumpet
    playing. I do think, however, that it does add a little bit to
    my development.
    Also streching the lip muscles at the end of the practise is possible.
    I do so and have written about it in this forum, but I suspect that
    this is a topic more spoken about that done. Maybe people want
    others to try it first, before they start doing this themselves . . .

Yes, surely there must still be things to discover, or do we already
    know everything by now?

Preventing bottoming out! Maybe! It could be worth figuring out . . .

That´s true, but the alternative to plug the strap into
    the wall and play barefooted actually works even better!!

Need I say: this is all a Swedish invention . . .:cool:

A serious finnish: I DO NOT RECOMMEND using any gadget!
    I like to experiment (maybe that´s my nature) and therefore
    I´ve made one, but none of the world artists have come that
    far due to any gadgets.
    Absence of hard work and talent can´t be compensated with any gadget . . .

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I actually just ask the question, what is in it for me. I have to admit to being old school pay your dues and reap the rewards.

I personally see no value add over a really good routine.............. Why supplement anything? Take that time and practice. The ears and brain then benefit at the same time as the chops.

Think about the "old school" players that you admire: Maurice André, Bud Herseth, Timofei Dokschizer, Bill Vacchiano, Gil Johnson, Manny Laureano. The only supplement that I am aware of with some these players is alcoholic in nature and made from grapes. They had it all. No gimmicks. Solid handiwork.