Warburton Series 80

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by trumpet blower88, Jul 13, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    About a year ago I was looking though a local music store and I came across a huge case of used mouthpieces. I noticed this "big, weird looking one". Each mouthpiece in that case was $10, they were just trying to get rid of them because they had about 100 and didn't really know what to do with them all. I bought the "big, weird looking one" because I figured for $10 it was probably a good deal, because it looked expensive.

Anyways, I've ran into a small problem with it. On my new horn the mouthpiece reciver has a bigger diameter and the Series 80 has to go in futher to fit, but with the extra metal thats added to it, it won't go in far enough and dosn't go in all the way! For the first time the other night I looked the price up on Warburtons website and now I am quite dissapointed to find out that I have a $150 mouthpiece that is compleatly pointless to me.

So I have two options. 1) Is there any way I can add something the the shank of the mouthpiece to make it wide enough so that it will fit into my Kanstul without either messing up the tone or damaging my horn? Or 2) Is anyone looking to buy a Series 80 backbore that would be interested in trading for another Warburton backbore? I really like the cup/rim part of this mouthpiece, but it's pointless to me right now becuase the backbore/shank dosn't fit. So, after looking at Warbuton's site, I know I'm actualy getting the lesser side of the deal for trading for a standard backbore, but if anyone is interested, PM me.

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Some people put a piece of tape around the shank, others just use a small piece of paper wrapped around the shank. Also Warburton makes their B series backbores which are a little wider.

3. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    I wouldn't worry about how much it costs new, I'd worry about how well it works. If you start messing around with the shank diameter to make it fit, you'll be making the receiver gap larger (the gap between the end of the mouthpiece and the start of the leadpipe) which will change the way your trumpet plays (maybe for better, maybe for worse). Can't really hurt to try though, as long as you don't do anything permanent like using gluing brass foil to it or something.

My advice, if you still really like the top, is to get yourself to a Warburton dealer and try a few of their 'normal' backbores, probably starting with the standard version of whatever backbore your Series 80 is. You may find that it works even better for you! If you don't live close enough to a Warburton dealer, there's always the many stores that have a trial policy, or buying second hand from ebay or one of the trumpet forum classified sections.

Rich.

4. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I tried putting a couple layers of tape aroung the shank today, it made it fit fine, but the tone seemed airy and flat. So is there any kind of special tape that might work better? I just used ducttape, because it seems to fix everything, but it didn't work to well here. I wish there was some way I could add another thin layer of brass to it to make it a litle wider, but I don't think there is...

5. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
    You could have anew receiver put on and have the gap adjusted to your backbore.
    Contact Kanstul or even better Charlie Melk and take to him about it.
    http://www.charliesbrassworks.com/

6. Z4ME

Z4ME New Friend

May 22, 2005
    What's the size and condition of your series 80 backbore?

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    What top is on there?

8. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm not sure how to explain the size of the backbore because I'm not to familiar with the Warburton mouthpieces. But there are two numbers: 11, and then underneith that, there is a 16. So I'm guessing it's like a fraction, 11/16. I'm not sure though.

The top is a 1DD. Its very big, and very deep. Good for getting a huge fat sound.

Overall it is in very good condition. The top is obviously newer than the back bore, the gold color is alot darker and "goldish". Theres no real signs of damage or anything. The back bore is still in fine playing conditons. Its obviously seen a few more days than the top, the gold color is starting fade and there are lots of small scratches on the shank where it has been scratching against the mouthpiece reciever. But from what I can tell theres no serious damage to it, just looks a litle older.

9. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    1DD with a series 80 #11 backbore with a #16 throat is my guess; that has to be the biggest thing I've heard of in awhile!

10. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Haha, yes... it really is quite big... Thats why I like it so much!