Warm down routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aerotrom, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Aerotrom

Aerotrom New Friend

Jul 17, 2008
    Spain
    Hi,
    I always warm up playing some scales and the warm up pages of the Stamp method, but I usually don´t warm down, I just try to relax my chops with some pedals or long tones played softly (and resting between each one of them), but I don't really have an idea of a real warm down exercise, so that's my question: what would a warm down routine look like?
    Thanks

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I put the horn away.
    I can't think of any other instrumentalists that warm down.
    Wilmer

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    :noway:

Don't listen to Wilmer. Brass musicians are famous for their warm-up exercises after a gig. They must be done in special practice rooms, that french people call "Brasserie". The exercises are executed in 4 steps:

1. Put the horn in the case.
    2. Go to the nearest "Brasserie". Don't forget to bring all your mates and colleagues. Exercising in groups is more effective.
    3. Order what you prefer. This is very personal. Some prefer Guiness, other Becks or Heineke, while other would order fresh brewed
    [​IMG]
    4. Consume it!

If it does not help, repeat the exercise all over.

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

:lol: now that is my kind of warm-down... who knows, it could work as a warm-up! :-P

Seriously though, I usually have my kids at the high school play a scale or two in whole notes as softly as possible with a good tone after we are done with rehersal. This is more to get there minds in the right place so they don't forget everything we did than to it is to relax their jaws though. :thumbsup:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Only after a killer gig will I buzz long tones on the way home in the car. Other than that my warm down is liquid and usually COLD.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I was waiting for Mr.Wise to chime in.

I don't know of any professional players that warm down after a gig.

Put the horn in the case and relax.

Plus, where would you warm down? In front of the client?

Always listen to the Wise one!

-cw-

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That's why most of us don't actually warm-down but rather chill out...when possible in a pub, with a good pint of beer and bunch of nice friends (at least for those of us who don't work in a pub most of the time ROFL )

8. Euphoniumlord

Euphoniumlord New Friend

May 27, 2008
    If it means anything to you, warm down with long tones and pitch bends, the things that help you have better tone and stuff... bigger deal on euphonium than trumpet though.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'll agree with Robin about the "killer gigs," and those are seldom. Philip Glass, Bach's complete Christmas Oratorio, Orff's Carmina Burana, Holst's Planets...

After those a bit of fluttering the lips can help for the next day. We Vulgani used to test the condition of our lips after a hard session with whiskey--the lips would burn if we had played loud enough, then we'd go to the chemical warmdown of Carmex and beer.

10. Larry Jess

Larry Jess New Friend

Apr 13, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    I agree with the cold beer....something to with the cold and the hopps!

Bobby Shew turned me on to the fluttering of the chops after (and before) concerts. It starts the blood flow going and restores your chops. Lip bends also help me alot to.

Larry Jess
    Principal Trumpet
    Spokane Symphony Orchestra