Warm-up and then?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, May 21, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I found it hard to really state what the topic of this thread would be in the subject line, but my question is this: how long do you typically go between your warm-up and your next session? I'm going to have to start working in an office Monday, Wednesday, and Friday coming soon, and then everyday in January. I can get a warm-up in before work, but then my next session would be lunch time five hours later! Since I've been working at home for the past two years, I've been able to do my warm-up and then rest for the same amount of time I had just played and then do my next session, and so on for the rest of the day. I'm not sure I like the idea of warming up and then resting for five hours before doing my next session. My next session is Clarke studies though, so maybe it's not so bad. Any thoughts?

2. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    Doing an early morning warm up and then not practicing until four or five hours later is not really a bad thing. If I were in your shoes (and everyone is different), I would do my early morning warm up pushing my chops a bit towards the end of it. You might want to really expand up into the top part of your range once or twice, not pushing yourself to the point of being tired, but just maxing out a bit.

Then when you come back a few hours later do a light slur and start your Clarke studies. I would more than likely start with a Clarke study that begins around second line G and expand upward and downward in an alternating fashion. Work both slurred and tongued.

From there, maybe play an etude, solo work, etc.... or work Arbans. I actually like having a large break following my warm up. On days that I have heavy gigs at night, I typically warm up pretty early and put the horn aside, not picking it up again until the gig. When I get to the gig, I do some slurs and a Clarke or two and I am usually good to go.

Let us know how it works out for you.

3. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Ok, yeah, I like that idea of pushing a little harder toward the end of the warm-up. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    The March ITG journal has an interesting article on this topic written by Bobby Shew (I think). He describes how he warms up without the horn.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Commakozzi,
    I did exactly that for about 10 years between 1983 and 1993. I had a road rep job and was driving about 60,000 miles a year. I played my daily routine (long tones, lip slurs) in the morning (sometimes in the hotel with a mute), at lunch or in the evening, the part that I call "tunes" followed by a break and then the technical studies.

The hardest part is maintaining concentration when you have been doing something else intense - like your job! Make sure that you don't have stuff around that could distract you - Face time could be something to "maintain(maybe) but NEVER anything to build with!

6. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Great point about maintaining concentration and building rather than maintaining. Could you clarify though, rowuk, about your schedule please? I think I understand that to mean that you would do your daily routine (long tones, lip slurs) in the morning. Then you would do your music during your lunch hour or in the early evening, and then you would take a break and then do the technical studies in evening or late at night. Is this correct?

7. chris_tpt

chris_tpt New Friend

Apr 16, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I agree with this advice and information. This is very similar to my situation. I do a 45 minute session not in the morning, but in early afternoon -- and I like to push to the upper register towards the end of the session. Then I do another 45 minutes at around 6 pm working on etudes, tunes, whateve I feel like. Some nights I'll do more after resting a while. If I have a rehearsal or gig (which is 3-4 nights per week) then I'm pretty much good to go after the afternoon warm up -- maybe 10-15 minutes of middle register long tones and/or Clark studies and some mouthpiece buzzing on the way to rehearsal or gig.

8. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, thanks a lot. I think I really like the idea of pushing a little harder than I normally would at the end of the warm-up and then doing a little bit of "doodling" right at the beginning of my next session. I guess I'll learn how to adjust!

9. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    FWIW- I found that for me if I warmed up before school I played ALOT better
    than if I just warmed up before band class. I also found that I wasn't smoked
    by marching band too! :D

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too have found that a late afternoon warm-up before an evening session works for me. I have found that because of my busy schedule I sometimes arrive at the gig without reasonable time for a warm-up, and so I don't hit my (limited) best until part way into the gig - not good.