Warm Up Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Annie, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Has anyone else out there developed their own warm up routine that covers all the basics - chops, fingers, breath, sense of time, sense of rhythm, tongueing, range...and on? Just curious what everyone else is up to in the Practice Room.

Oh, and I love the little title at the top : " Hello Annie,
    It appears that you have not posted in several weeks. We hope to hear from you soon! "

Let's just say I've been in the practice room...

2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Here's my daily routine:
    1- Hood mouthpiece routines
    2- Stamp book
    3- Bai Lin flexibility book ( or Colin, Irons, Schlossberg)
    4- Clarke studies ( or Gekker )
    That is fairly set for me. After that first session, its on to etudes, solos, etc.
    Roy Grifin

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    1) I wake up.
    2) At some point I put the horn on my face and play. I don't really believe in a regular warm up. The are things I generally work on most days, Clarke and flexibilities and so on. I also try to have a period of time where I just play randomly and see where that takes me, see what I can think of. The other day it was chromatic minor seventh arpeggios that in some weird way found its way into a couple solos in the last few weeks.

Michael McLaughlin

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My "warm up" is a couple of long tones and some slurs. That is not my daily routine however.
    I use my "warm up" just to let me know how tough the rest of the day will be. A warm up to me has nothing to do with "preparing" my chops for what is coming up next. That is why I practice daily. The warm up is there to psychologically prepare myself. As psychology scares me, I keep this part very short!
    Think about it, if you are convinced that you need 30-40 minutes to get going - and you don't get that time, what happens? You are convinced that you can't give your best and very often you won't - not because you can't - but because you think that you can't.
    Less experienced, or irregular players do have benefits by having a start up routine that is longer because the long term "habits" have not yet sunk in.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Open case; select horn; Play!

I usually just blow a C Major scale and get after it. No other warmup at all.

6. michael shanks

michael shanks New Friend

Jan 12, 2007
    I usally play the chromatic scale or a minor scale have any opinon on how to make my chops to last longer

7. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    AMEN. Warm-up is merely getting my brain and body synchronized for the purpose of playing the horn. Do a few deep-breathing exercises, then play few notes, touching on range extremes...then after that, I'm practicing, not warming up.

In an extreme case of this, a guy I used to work with was always running out of chops. After a period of time, I addressed it with him out of concern (he had wonderful technique and range otherwise). What I learned shocked me. He was doing this massive, taxing 1.5 hour "warm-up" every morning! He had convinced himself that he wasn't properly prepared for the rest of the day until he went through it. No wonder he was always beat-up. I got him to re-think "warm-up" versus "daily technical routines," and the light bulb lit up over his head. He adjusted his routine as a result -- spreading out his technical exercises through the day instead of all in one shot. Endurance was not an issue after that.

Paul Poovey

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your chops are with you until you die! You don't need them after that - although transplants could maybe give me somebody elses BETTER chops........

There is only one route to better endurance: prepare properly. Get to know your part inside out - actually study your part - even without the horn. Practice diligently and do not beat yourself up on concert day. The rest is just a mirror of what you have invested!

9. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Sweet! Thanks for the replies. Yeah, my 'warm-up' is mainly technical exercises, but it really gets me going, and I play better on the days I use my system.

10. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Routines are not just for younger players., as someone suggested. I have played for over fifty years, twenty of which as a member of the US Marine Band in DC, and, before that, ten seasons in an orchestra. I still play at least three hours each and every day, and I do my earlier suggested routine daily. It has been the basis for any playing success I might have. I won't drop names, but I know some pretty heavy hitters that do similar routines.
    Good luck with your playing, Annie! Enjoy!!!
    Sincerely,
    Roy Griffin