Warm up routines

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Learningon, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm in with those who use a minimal warm-up. Really just enough to get warm air through the horn and blood flowing through the lips. If I think I need more than that I'll make sure to arrive early and blow in my car (usually on my pocket trumpet) but even then it's only for 5 minutes.

A guy (nont a pro) I used to regularly play a church job with would ALWAYS ask the music director where he should go to warm up, and then disappear for 10 minutes while everyone else talked about the performance, changes, etc. The director eventually stopped calling him.

2. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    My routine is something that I go through every day when I first sit down to practice. If that happens to be the first time I've played that day...then I guess that is my warmup. My routine is not always the exact same excersises every day; but rather a schedule that alots a certain amount of time working on each of the fundamental groups. This is part of my practice in that every day I try to make my routine sound better than the day before. I of course spend time working on performance literature and etudes every day as well.

The short warmup I described is for the few minutes before a rehearsal or gig just to get chops/wind synced up. I also mentioned playing it quietly. I feel that this gets my chops really responsive when it is time to go.

3. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    I find the longer the gig the longer the warm up e.g. twenty minutes for two hours or more playing , if I dont warm up properly my chops wont go the distance. I warm up sometimes earlier in the day that sets me up for the rest of the day.

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    What kind of minuets are we talking about? If they are Chopin, I think that is plenty of warm-up time.

5. Learningon

Learningon New Friend

Dec 10, 2009
    Haha! You caught me with a typo! I meant "minutes" not "minuets". :-)

6. aerotim13

aerotim13 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Rolla, Missouri
    for me, it depends on the time of day. If it's morning and my body hasn't really woken up yet, I might need a long time of playing some low stuff and then mid range stuff before I can even get anything high to speak at all-- on the other hand, if i pick up the horn at 7 at night, i don't need to warm up very much at all. I also found that if I have a gig or something at night, if i play that morning for 20-30 minutes, i feel like i can play a lot better that night... i feel kind of like i'm "warmed up" all day long

7. aerotim13

aerotim13 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Rolla, Missouri
    my internet hiccuped and it posted twice.. can I delete this one?

8. gdong

gdong Piano User

Jun 7, 2008
    LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC
    Ed Carrol told me this: Trumpet playing is a combination of Flexibility/Focus/Flow
    He stressed that we strive for resonance at all times citing Clark Terry (And others) for finding that resonance and keeping it. Keeping that in mind here is what works for me. One thing that I seem to keep coming back to and that seems to only help is Buzzing Basics. It's not technically part of a warmup, but more of a daily workout (physical and mental) and air flow series. I do it on my ipod or speakers after my first warm up among other things that go in the trumpet toolkit. With this method of madness I can make sure I am centered and have my air going first thing, can easily get it back into gear when its time to play again, and have a very focused set of exercises that will keep my progress at least going forward at a moderate pace even if it is the only thing I play in the practice room for the day.

First play of the day Warm up 5 Minutes total:
    buzz mpc stamp style <1min,
    center and resonate 1 mid-register tone ~1min
    center and resonate 1 octave arbitrary scale above the 1 tone ~1min
    Shuebruk's set-up drill ~1min

Before any additional playing throughout the day: <4min
    buzz mpc stamp style <1min
    Resonance of 1 tone <1min
    Resonance of arbitrary scale <1min
    Selected Stamp or Irons exercise <1min

Trumpet toolkit ~20min:
    Buzzing Basics 1-4 <15min
    Set-up Drills ~1min
    Caruso #1 (6 magic notes) <1min
    Slow scales of all kind and tonality striving for resonance and center (articulated and slurred)

Practice: ~not enough time:
    Flex
    Focus
    Flow
    Jazz Language

:)

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I found that a good routine in the morning (mine lasted about 1/2-3/4 hour) lets me pick up the horn and just play.

For those early-morning church gigs (Weihnachts Oratorium can be a killer!) when I can't warm-up I'll do the following:

Buzz the mouthpiece at my heimatston (home tone)--middle high, middle low, middle loud, middle soft and then do an expanding scale. This allows me to find my "center" and makes the gig go a bit smoother.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I hate the early-morning church gigs. I don't like to eat before I play, so my stomach is usually growling by the middle of mass.

For those I make sure to get to the church early and take at least 10 minutes in the car for long tones and some light lip flexibilities...