Warm up routines

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Learningon, Dec 11, 2009.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Try the Vizzutti warmup, demanding at first for some (including me) but worth it in the long run!

Peace NYCO10

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    whats that then?

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    When I can, I use a Stamp warmup (at home on my own time). In a bind, I do the Stamp routine in the car on the way to a gig: a little free buzzing and then mouthpiece plus buzz along with the tunes on the radio. If there's no time, then some blowing through the leadpipe (relaxed, against the resistance of the horn) to get the breath flowing.

4. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I appreciate the above posts-very interesting. I use my warm-up (5-6- minutes of mouthpiece buzzing, 5-10 minutes of Vizzutti/Stamp warm-ups below tuning C) as part of my daily routine which follows some 30 minutes or more afterwords. Daily routine=slurs, scales, flow studies (Clarke,etc), single and multiple tongueing studies

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    1)On the mouthpiece
    Glissando from middle G up to G above staff, then down to pedal G. Crescendo on the last note.
    2) On the instrument
    Repeated C's tenuto then staccato. Continue down to low F sharp.
    3) Smooth tones
    In his book it is called "Long Tone Exercises".
    Playing C - E - C, then C - E - G - E - C, etc. Going down all the seven valve-combinations.
    4) Technical Studies
    The Technical Studies in book one are variations on Clarke 2.

(if you have the Vizzutti method books then all this is covered under warmup section, if not, i would strongly recommend purchasing the 3 books. I view them as a 'scaled down' version of Arban, although the etudes in Arban are not to be neglected!.)

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have this hugely complicated warm-up routine that I do--30-45 minutes; but it's not really a warm-up. It's actually a series of etudes and exercises that aren't demanding on my range. Truth is I require less "warm-up" than the horn. 20-30 seconds of playing (as long as I'm not doing high range stuff) and I'm as "warm" as I'll ever be. The horn take a couple of minutes to warm up, then I can relax and not work so hard at playing in tune.

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I do mouthpiece buzz for 1-2 mins. The play lips slurs from middle C down to low C, and back up. Chromatically done, all with the horn. Then quick and fast, slurred from: Low F# up to Low C, and back down...again, chromatically.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have a quick exercise called "Reflections" which is all I ever do for a warmup. It is on my jaegerbrass website on the "News" page. Sorry, I don't know how to attach the URL here. The You tube version takes under 2 minutes, but there should be more rests.